Time to make shavings again. | SouthernPaddler.com

Time to make shavings again.

islandpiper

It's been years since I built a boat. And about two years since I built anything really. But, i'm feeling the urge to build a skin on frame yak. At this point I want to build a PBK 57. But, as a first build of this style I may settle for a PBK 10. It will cost a bit less, and will be easier to haul around.

I'll keep ya'll posted. Piper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Piper,
What was the guy's name who built the SOF. He hasn't been on the forum in quite a while. If we could remember his name he would probably have an e mail address you could contact him with. He could answer all your questions.
Bob

loafer

Jan 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
Piper
good to see you back online and thinking about building again
are you familiar with Kudzu Craft and their forum "messing about in boats"
He sells plans, kits, and materials---cloth --- polyester and nylon
if you need help or encouragement I'm not that far away
I'm good at holding the dumb end of a board
Loafer

http://www.kudzucraft.com/web/

islandpiper

Hey Loafer, yes, i have been haunting his site, I am a Tandy Leather Re-seller, so i'll get my sinew there. He has several different fabrics and that's nice. I'll cross that bridge when i come to it i guess. I have purchased plans for a Percy Blandford PBK-10, which is eleven feet long, and should be able to make a nice day boat/ light weekend camping boat in the 20-25 Pound range.

My primary goal is to have a little day-use boat that I can load and un-load with less effort than the REALLY NICE pirogue that Swampwood made for me a few years ago. That Pirogue is a great boat...stable, easy to paddle, great carry, tracks nice, carries a TON of stuff or people with east. But, it's getting more difficult for me to load onto the truck rack.

I'm looking forward to building and taking part here again., It's been a few years. piper

loafer

Jan 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
Piper
thats a nice little boat ----SOF should do the trick for you
I'm more of an open top boat fan
I like Kudzu's Stonefly canoe which has more room for fishing gear
however I would like to make it a little wider to be less tippy and carry my weight better
keep up the good work and keep us posted
Loafer

islandpiper

I got home from a trip half way around the planet to find my plans had arrived. So, i have been busy tracing the frames, test sawing a frame from some scrap, test sawing and glueing scarf joints in some stringer material, and pricing up fabrics, etc.

Still, nothing to sit in or show off much, but it is getting more real by the day.

islandpiper

I've been messing around with the plan set for the PBK 10, an 11-foot SOF and getting ready to build. I made a "sample frame" out of some leftover 1/2 treated ply that was standing in the corner. Then, lightened it up a little, as the original design called for 3/8 ply frames. I used a rounding-over bit in the router table to relieve the edges, probably more than necessary. Still, even with the narrower sections, and full rounding, it is quite strong and resistant to flexing or deformation when pushed up against the solid bench and leaned on real hard.

For cutting scarfs where needed in the stringers i added an angular back-stop to my chop-saw. That gives me a three inch glueing face on the 1/2 inch thick stringers. I'm testing some samples now to see if this is sufficient. The scarf ratio os 1:6. 1:8 would be nicer, but i'm not sure the chop saw is big enough to do that.

Guess I have forgotten how to post pics…….i'll keep trying. Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
From a new post in the general Section by oldbuffpiolt. :D

oldbuffpilot » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:13 pm
Posting pictures has always been time consuming and difficult for me. I recently started using the free version of postimage.org. It will resize pictures for you, and works much easier (at least for me) than photo bucket or flicker. If you are spending too much time posting pictures you might take a look at this.
http://postimage.org/register.php

islandpiper

Work continues. the frames are on the hog/keelson….the gunwales are tied and fitted. I've begun adding stringers…..and i have a lot of pictures to show. but, until SP figures out a way that I can just post them without joining some other site, keeping all my photos in that site's archives and having to cross reference them to make them show up here……then, I guess i'll not be adding much to this build. Sorry…… Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
islandpiper said:
i have a lot of pictures to show. but, until SP figures out a way that I can just post them without joining some other site, keeping all my photos in that site's archives and having to cross reference them to make them show up here……

Unfortunately to post pictures on here you have to use a outside source or your own web's address.