The oil or grease stain was ......... | SouthernPaddler.com

The oil or grease stain was .........

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The wife has been in Canada visiting the one Daughter , Son in Law and especially the Grandson for a while.

So I have been batching it here at the home fort and keeping things in working shape. One item I was having trouble with was my favorite hiking shirt. Seams that I got some oil or grease on it and it just refused to wash out of the shirt , no matter what I did.

Then I got a wild idea ........ It works on taking the baked on grease off the grill when I soak it in Dawn dish washing soap and water. I mix up some of the Dawn Dish washing soap and water then put the grill in it and let it soak for a hour or so , when it is washed it is nice and clean and goes back on the BBQ.

I took the shirt and rubbed some of the Dawn dish washing soap into the stain and then tossed it in the washier with some "T" Shirts and a pair of hiking shorts. Why just wash one item ? Just to play it safe I did an extra rinse on the wash when it was done to make sure all the soap was gone .

The oil or grease stain was ......GONE...... :D

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
chuck I suppose that's why the good lord gave people like us a better half. :roll: :roll: :lol: I,m glad I got mine to keep me out of trouble. :D :D :mrgreen:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I think that, in this case, Chuckie somehow figured out how to do it himself, without help from the distaff side. Dish washing soap is designed to handle grease and fats; and it did it's job pretty good.

I sometimes soak greasy clothes in warm water strongly enriched with ammonia (3 to 4 glugs per panful.)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I put about two shot glasses of ammonia in the garbage bag before I seal it and take it out to the garbage can.
The neighbors have there garbage cans tipped over and the garbage spread all over when it goes out for the road side collection and mine is still in the garbage can.
For some reason the residential family of Racoons do not like the aromas coming from my garbage can but it sure beats having to pick up tossed around garbage. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Try vodka sometime. A drunken raccoon would be a barrel of fun to watch! :wink:

Why waste good vodka when I can mix it with White Vinegar ( 50 / 50 mix ) and use it as ear drops to keep from getting swimmers ear. It's a trick that the wife and I learned when we were licensed / certified skin divers ( S.C.U.B.A. tanks and all the rest of the good stuff ). Rinse your ears out with it after a dive and never get an ear infection.

Besides I tried Vodka and Blackberries one time when coons were raiding the camp , they would not touch the stuff. They probably thought it was Scotch. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I'll bet that a 50:50 mix of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar would do exactly the same thing for your ears. It's likely the combination of he anti-bacterial properties of white vinegar, and alcohol in the vodka.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
I'll bet that a 50:50 mix of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar would do exactly the same thing for your ears.

I would not use the rubbing alcohol since it has additives in it that could be harmful , after all you are technically putting it inside your body and some of it will be adsorbed by the body. The absorption ( as small as it is ) is threw the ear drum and the walls of the ear canal.

The standard dropper bottle from the pharmacy with a miniature vodka bottle and White Vinegar makes more then it will hold and lasts for a long time. It takes about 3/4 of a miniature bottle of both liquids to fill that bottle. I mix them in a separate glass container and then add the mix to the bottle with the dropper in it.

The alcohol kills the bugs and dissolves any water that still might be in the ear. The vinegar maintains the acidity of the inner ear.

Vodka is some nice stuff.. I was told that if a Python bites you to just drop some vodka in it's mouth and it will let go in a hurry. I guess Pythons are tea tote-leers. :lol: Vinegar also works if you ran out of alcohol and DO NOT use Rubbing Alcohol it is poisonous to them. .

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I've heard of using Vodka to kill weeds. When Nathan Was a teenager he had a 9 ft. python. Jake was usually pretty laid back about everything until he wasn't. Nathan was going to feed him and was holding a mouse by its tail and opened the lid and Jake struck out and got the mouse along with Nathan's hand. He could not pry Jakes mouth open and Jake did no seem to be interested in letting go so Nathan reaches over and gets a bottle of rubbing alcohol and puts the lid in his mouth(remember that he has only one hand to use), unscrews the bottle, and pours the contents into Jakes mouth. Jake decided to let go and get back in his home. Nathan threw the rest of the mice in, slammed the lid shut, came in and his mother bandaged him up. Jake got sold right after that. Thinking back on it I wish he had kept Jake and made BBQ out of him.
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
So, rubbing alcohol that is used to sterilize skin, prior to injections, is poisonous? I must be missing something.

For a topical use and not for using it internally.

Here is what they say about it.
" Rubbing alcohol, USP / Surgical spirit, B.P. is a liquid prepared and used primarily for topical application. It is prepared from a special denatured alcohol solution and contains approximately 70 percent by volume of pure, concentrated ethanol (ethyl alcohol) or isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol).[1] Individual manufacturers can use their own "formulation standards" in which the ethanol content usually ranges from 70-99%

Warning Labels..................
Product labels for rubbing alcohol include a number of warnings about the chemical, including the flammability hazards and its intended use only as a topical antiseptic and not for internal wounds or consumption. It should be used in a well-ventilated area due to inhalation hazards. Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or consumption of rubbing alcohol.
"

So Jack ....STOP Drinking it.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Been drinking it too long now, can barely read the caution on the label. :wink: So, isn't the skin in the ear topical? It's skin, just like on a hand or leg. They're topical. In the ear isn't like internal, seems to me.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Been drinking it too long now, can barely read the caution on the label. :wink: So, isn't the skin in the ear topical? It's skin, just like on a hand or leg. They're topical. In the ear isn't like internal, seems to me.

This can bounce around and back and forth all day , is it an Apple or an Orange , no it's a Grapefruit. All I can tell you is that the Dawn Dish washing Soap will get ride of grease. :lol: :lol: :lol: