The boat build that would never end... | SouthernPaddler.com

The boat build that would never end...

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
...is nearing an end. :shock:

For those of you may not recall, I started building an Uncle John's Pirogue a little while back http://www.southernpaddler.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6150

For whatever reasons (I'll skip the excuses) I've just never finished the damn thing. I've already used it a few times, perhaps I should have waited until I varnished the epoxy, but, oh well.

Anyway, my short expedition over the holidays with Piper and Joey inspired me to finish the boat, once and for all. Only problem, it's been a pretty cold winter. Well, the temps have finally eased enough for me to take the last step on my pirogue: Installing the decks. Here are entirely too many pics of such a simple task...

Shaped decks, gluing up a handle.

Deck bottom with saturation coat of epoxy and fillet.

Bedded in thickened epoxy.

Quality workmanship.

Cleaned up a little bit with rope hole drilled and routed.

Final saturation coat of epoxy on the topside.

After a wee bit of sanding and clean up, I'll be ready to varnish and check this off this list! :roll:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I like the wood. May I ask what kind is it?
Also, is there an advantage to drilling the rope hole after you installed the breasthook, or is that just the way you did it?
I'm not saying befor or after is best. I just noticed and wondered.

Thanks
beekeeper

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
beekeeper said:
I like the wood. May I ask what kind is it?
Also, is there an advantage to drilling the rope hole after you installed the breasthook, or is that just the way you did it?
I'm not saying befor or after is best. I just noticed and wondered.

Thanks
beekeeper
Nothing special. Red Oak from Home Depot.

Just the way I did it. Drilling a 1/2" hole into a 15' boat was a lot easier than a 6" triangular piece of wood. No messing with clamps or anything.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
rpecot said:
....... Drilling a 1/2" hole into a 15' boat....

Dang! I'd of guessed that to be a 3/4" - 7/8" hole from looking at the picture. I'd have bet money on it!

Mike

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
mike said:
rpecot said:
....... Drilling a 1/2" hole into a 15' boat....

Dang! I'd of guessed that to be a 3/4" - 7/8" hole from looking at the picture. I'd have bet money on it!

Mike
Yeah, actually, i think it is bigger than 1/2". Not quite 3/4", maybe 5/8". Of course, rounding it over with the router makes it look a little bigger.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
BEARS BUDDY said:
Are you bringing it to Piper's?
Nope. Unfortunately, I've had some family plans come up unexpectedly that may prevent me attending at all. I'm trying to work those issues out right now... :?

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Re: The home stretch

Had a little hic-up this morning, while sanding my second coat of varnish on the decks and rails. I had waited well past the 18 hours recommended on the can (zspar flagship) and was lightly sanding (220 grit) with my random orbital sander when one of the decks just got all gummed up. Varnish hadn't cured yet. :evil: My guess is that the temps dropped a little too much last night, extending the cure time. The other deck was fine. It got good bit of sun sticking out towards the garage door, when I applied the varnish yesterday. The gummed up deck was inside, never got direct sunlight. :?

WDfrmTN

rpecot said:
Had a little hic-up this morning, while sanding my second coat of varnish on the decks and rails. I had waited well past the 18 hours recommended on the can (zspar flagship) and was lightly sanding (220 grit) with my random orbital sander when one of the decks just got all gummed up. Varnish hadn't cured yet. :evil: My guess is that the temps dropped a little too much last night, extending the cure time. The other deck was fine. It got good bit of sun sticking out towards the garage door, when I applied the varnish yesterday. The gummed up deck was inside, never got direct sunlight. :?
Many varnishes are alcohol thin-able, or mineral-spirits thin-able. Check your label, you may not have to strip it all the way back, but only re-flow it.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Kayak Jack said:
What do you think you have to do to repair it?
I physically scraped most of the "gummy" varnish after I found it. Not a whole heck of a lot, just on one deck (and a small spot on the gunwale).

WDfrmTN said:
Many varnishes are alcohol thin-able, or mineral-spirits thin-able. Check your label, you may not have to strip it all the way back, but only re-flow it.
I guess the concept for repair I had in mind was something like this; "re-flowing." Thought I'd wipe-it-down/work-in some thinner to get rid of the gummed up spots.

Kayak Jack said:
How will you prevent future recurrence?
Allow more time to cure, especially considering this "cold" snap we're having down here. (You know, we actually had to turn the A/C OFF the other night :roll: ) Since I'm applying the varnish on the inside of the boat (on mostly vertically surfaces), I chose not to thin it for fear of running.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
If you heat the shop, I'd use an electric heater. Any open flame around all those aromatic, hydrocarbon thinners, and you won't have to worry about the boat anymore. :wink: Better yet, wait for hot weather and open all the doors while you work. Then, revenuers may see fumes rising in the air, think you're running a still.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009

rpecot said:

This may be too late to help or just plain no help. I had better luck my last time varnishing because I did it different than befor. I thined the first coat 20%, applied a very thin coat with a foam roller. I skiped a day befor starting to sand. I hand sanded only. Just enough to smooth any runs and to rough up the surface a little. A sander can heat the varnish and cause it to gum up. If the hand sanding does this you are sanding way too hard or you didn't let it cure long enough.
After sanding I vacuumed the dust, wiped the wood with a rag and mineral spirits. After that dryed I wiped with a tack cloth and applied the second coat, also diluted 20%. Repeat sanding, etc. for the other coats. I thined the remander coats 10% except the last coat was full strength.
After the first coat I only put one coat on each day. Sand and wipe in the AM, coat that afternoon after it warmed up some.
Paint remover will remove varnish. CAUTION some are not for use on epoxy.
My varnish said not to apply in direct sunlight.

beekeeper

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
rpecot said:
...is nearing an end. :shock:

For those of you may not recall, I started building an Uncle John's Pirogue a little while back http://www.southernpaddler.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6150

For whatever reasons (I'll skip the excuses) I've just never finished the damn thing. I've already used it a few times, perhaps I should have waited until I varnished the epoxy, but, oh well.

Anyway, my short expedition over the holidays with Piper and Joey inspired me to finish the boat, once and for all. Only problem, it's been a pretty cold winter. Well, the temps have finally eased enough for me to take the last step on my pirogue: Installing the decks. Here are entirely too many pics of such a simple task...

Shaped decks, gluing up a handle.

Deck bottom with saturation coat of epoxy and fillet.

Bedded in thickened epoxy.

Quality workmanship.

Cleaned up a little bit with rope hole drilled and routed.

Final saturation coat of epoxy on the topside.

After a wee bit of sanding and clean up, I'll be ready to varnish and check this off this list! :roll:
Russell,
What is the status of your build :?: :?:
Just curious :D

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I'm trying my hardest not to finish this thing, but damn if I didn't pull out the can of varnish today. I'm thinking one more coat on the topsides and then I'll flip it and start on the bottom. Give me about 6 months and I should be done. :shock:

I also put a first coat on my chair. Overall, I'm fairly happy with my results today :D

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I just re-read that. My wife's the same way. Sometimes, just for fun, I will leave something out of place just to see how long it takes her to stash it somewhere. :twisted:

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Status update: The Inside Is Done! :D

Pictures a little blurry.

Deck

One thing I have learned is that I really don't like varnishing. Unfortunately, I've still got the bottom to do. God help me. :?