Tepee and Coyote trip to Co | SouthernPaddler.com

Tepee and Coyote trip to Co

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
It is that time of the year again, bow season in Co. This year was going to be a little different we both had the modified teardrops that we had built,no tents this year :D
We met up at the flying J and Darrel came by to see us off.

IM002453.jpg

We headed out ,set our speed at 65 where it was legal . The trailers pulled great behind the little four banger and the gas milage on this trip was just about the same as running empty. West Texas isnt long on scenery besides cactus and windmills
and we had about 600 miles we wanted to run that day. We had both packed ice chest with fried chicken and a roast courtisey of my better half,little cheese chips and drinks we could just keep rolling. If you notice there are two fuel tanks on the front of the trailers,200 miles is about the range of the gas tanks in the jeeps so we each had ten gallons to spare. We did use them once on a long strech in New Mexico. The day was pretty uneventful and we just sat back and rolled.
That night we rolled into Santa Rosa New Mexico about dark,there is a large truckstop there ,we parked put on the coffe for the next morning and crashed .648 miles that day. It sure was nice to crawl in my own bed flip the fantastic fan on and crash. With the fans we were comfortable.
Got up the next morning headed for Pogossa Co. about four and a half hours,the scenery was getting better :D
IM002455.jpg

IM002456.jpg

We drove threw Santa Fe and on up to Chama, stoped there to eat and Glen found out there is a lot of difference in Tex Mex Mexican food and New mexico
going to break this here
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
After Glen drank a few glasses of tea to cool the peppers off we headed across the border into Colo. We stopped got our license and headed up into the mountains found a spot to camp and pulled in. We pulled one trailer in then set two canopies up then backed the other trailer in,that way both doors were facing in and we had a 10 by 20 covered area between us.

IM002460.jpg

We hit it just right parked the last trailer and the storm hit high winds rained heavy and then started to hail . It covered the ground in just a few minutes but we were dry and comfy.
We were there hunting elk but we saw a lot of wildlife ,mule deer,grouse,biggest red headed wood pecker I ever saw,black bear , ducks a lot of hummingbirds, rock pigeons and of course all kinds of squirrels.
We were climbing and walking 8 to 10 miles a day at altitudes from 9000 to 11000 ft this old flat lander needed a airpack. Saw some elk but just couldn't close the deal. We sure had a blast saw some beautiful scenery

IM002459.jpg

IM002458.jpg

IM002462.jpg

We had planed to stay a ten days but had some things come up that we had to go home a couple days early,no elk but camping in this awesome beauty is enough.

Headed back to the house and twelve hours latter stopped outside Abilene Tx ate at a truck stop went out and crashed.
Break it here

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
We got up the next morning and headed on home ,another 225 miles.
The Tepee and the Coyote functioned flawlessly ,it was so nice to set camp up in 5 minutes ,no wet tents clothes warm and compy,I used the fantastic fan and lights off a car battery for 8 days ,the fan ran 16 hours of that and needed charging the last day. Used two single burner stoves and used one bottle apiece,Trailer pulled easy and with very little increase in gas usage. Oh and the best thing was sleeping on a good mattres listening to the elk bugle.
Now the downside we got stopped on the highway so folks could take pics of the trailers,just stopping to fuel I bet I unlocked
my trailer a dozen times to show folks the inside and the two jeeps running together with the two trailers nearly caused some wrecks.
To sum this up a great trip with a good friend bueatiful scenery lots of wildlife to watch and a couple great little trailers,just dont know why I waited this long to build them.
Ron

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
nice pictures ron i know you guys had a blast even if you didn,t kill one. i have three lifes dreams one is to hunt out there montana,colorado somewhere & paddle the okefenokee & sunwanee river. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I bet you guy's spun some heads of the drivers as you were rolling along , it sure would make me look and wounder what is going on.
No meat but most of the fun is the going , getting there , being there and then the trip back home. A bunch of Elk steaks would make it better but are not necessary for a good time. That is some really nice scenery and I bet even better when camping there.

Chuck.