St.Marys River .. Dec 08 - 12th ,2008 | SouthernPaddler.com

St.Marys River .. Dec 08 - 12th ,2008

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We started out without doing a long distance because of the blow downs , and anything else that will stop a canoes forward movement , including some really ( drag the boat over ) sand bars in the river.

We had a assortment of weather , everything from frost on the gear to "T"Shirt weather on this trip. One day , nice and dry , cool then the next day ..... hot , muggy and wet. The switching around on us.

9 Canoes and 12 guy's for some fun on the river. Camping in a hammock one night and in a tent to stay warm the next night , then switching around when not sitting under a tarp in the rain. :lol:

Bear and Al making it threw one of the tight spots.
Dec08%20002.jpg

Yes there is a canoe in the picture if you look real close.
Dec08%20004.jpg

Al making it under the log.
Dec08%20005.jpg

Camp that 1st river night , drying out Vans Stuff.
Dec08%20006.jpg

A better shot of the stuff drying , it was starting to sprinkle on us.
Dec08%20014.jpg

We looked like a used canoe parking lot.
Dec08%20007.jpg

The Eagle Nest Outfitters Hammock set up nice and close to the rain fly.
Dec08%20008.jpg

Joe ( Paddlin'Gator ) in his hammock.
Dec08%20009.jpg

Ray staying dry and fixing some chow.
Dec08%20013.jpg

Joe ( lazyriverguy) playing it safe and in a tent this one night.
Dec08%20016.jpg

Bear using his Zip Stove.
Dec08%20015.jpg

This was in the morning on Thursday , rather wet out there.
Dec08%20022.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The Eagles Nest Outfitters Hammock.....

One thing I did find out and no one says anything about it.

Camping in a tent in a bad storm all your stuff outside takes a beating and on a sand bar get sand all over , in and around it

If I would of been in the Hennessey then all that stuff would of been under the oversize rain fly I have for it and stayed dry and clean. The same way it would of done under a tarp. Like the stuff the guys in the Hennesseys did.

Also the new Hennesseys are made with heavier material and the sides are a shade higher then the older ones. The rain flys are not attached to the main line like on mine and the older hammocks. Ours they can be attached or not , that choice was not available on the new Safari that Bear had for this trip. He had to use the rain fly as a separate item when hanging his hammock.

Irregardless he did say he got some good sleep and rest in the hammock. Even during that storm. I can vouch for that since I listened to his snoring.

Not sure about this but I was told that the exercise mattresses the gals use to work out on are non slip ones and will work in a hammock and stay put when in place. Plus they can be rolled up for packing and then unrolled later for what ever someone wants them for. As I said ... no pratical or personal information about that , just some fireside chatter.

The Trangis Alcohol Stove...........

I used my Trangia Stove on this last trip ( which I just returned from ) and it did everything I expected from it.

1. light weight , soot free.
2. It fit in my food box which it sat on when cooking.
3. Easy to set up.
4. No fuss or problems , preformed like advertised.
5. The simmering ring is the best thing to use when doing soups , no burning in the bottom of the pot.
6. Heating water for tea , no problem and add extra alcohol for heating a meal after the tea water is done.
7. Wind does not effect it when cooking.
8. Heat everything fast then use the simmering ring for cooking.
9. If you spill some of the fuel on you , no problem it just evaporates and does not cause any problems.
10. The stove can be used anywhere , in a tent , under a tarp ( when it is raining Cats & Dogs ) or out in the open.

Disadvantages that I found on this trip ......

1. When the alcohol gets really cold ( Freezing temps ) it is hard to light. Solution... Keep a small (plastic) bottle of it in your sleeping bag so it is
nice and warm.
2. Using the fuel bottle they manufacture , after you dispense the amount of fuel you want and turn it off , there is a small residual amount left in there so when the spout is pointed downward some will come out. Solution.... See # 9 above.
3. You do have to carry the fuel for it unlike the Zip which you pick up sticks to fuel it.
Solution.. The larger fuel bottle which will last a long time since the stove requires so little to start with. Using the simmering ring will stretch that out by 2 or 3 times but takes longer to heat up a meal.

That was all I could find fault with by using it.
Paddlin'Gator and I both used them on this trip and we both enjoyed there ease of use.
I have the #27 ultralight which is the two person one and Joe has the #25 which is the 4 person one. He has the non stick pots and the larger frying pan along with the tea pot which were all put to good use by him.

My idea of the perfect combination .......

For long trips ,the Zip and the Trangia. One you pick up the fuel for it as you go and the other for cooking in a tent ( of under a hammock rain fly) when nasty weather strikes. Or a combination of either ways depending on how things suit you.
Short trips .... Trangia.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Would a multi-tool pliers work? Is there room for it?

Yes ..They would work but the lid is horizontal to the unit so it would have to be flipped up a little to grab it. That is if you don't want to reach straight into the flame to get it.

The jobbies Cabelas (or any fly tying shop ) have , the end is curved so it would be easier to get the lid with it.

Chuck.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
oldsparkey said:
When using the Trangia and the simmering ring the main problem is getting it off the burner.

From my days as a medic in the service I have one of these , if you don't then for a small amount of pocket change you can get one from Cabelas or your neighborhood fly tying shop.

Using the tiny URL .....
http://tinyurl.com/3wohro

Chuck.

Flea markets are also a good place to get forceps and stuff like that.
My girlfriend is a emergency room nurse (opps, I let that one slip, tho she IS NOT a gymnast :lol: sorry Bearridge) and I can get all the neat forceps (even the bigger ones), tweezers, scissors (that will cut just about anything) and stuff from her. The little blue towels are nice to have also, once they open a package if they dont use them all on that patient, they cant save the unused ones for the next patient, they have to get rid of them.

DM