SS@G Northwind | Page 6 | SouthernPaddler.com

SS@G Northwind

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
That is pretty darn good for that length of a cedar boat with all that deck bulkheads etc. ....my 12 footer weighs about 50 lbs.
Ron,.. did you're panels end up being about 3/16'' thin?
On my TV they ended up being their.

Steve

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
6 oz glass ..Oh yea I still have a few yrds left off the 52 yard roll I got back in o6 off Ebay and didnt use any till my first kayak a year ago...

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I am doing this a little different than most boat reviews. I decided I was going to put some miles on the North Wind and paddle in as many different environments as possible before I wrote this up,so here we go.
This boat is 17 ft 2 inches long bye 28 ½ wide finished weight was 54 lbs ,not a little boat by any stretch of the imagination

nw6057.jpg

When I built the deck I set it up for a 58 qt cooler ad the capability to carry 8 rods all that worked out well
And the places for the rod holders are also used when I just pull up and want to bank fish or troll.

nw6080-1.jpg

She has been slimed

nw6082-1.jpg

Been paddled tandem

seat026Small.jpg

Loaded heavy

brt002.jpg

Stability is awesome ,my seat is 11 1;2 inches high and I never feel tippy.
Paddling speed is awesome ,if your paddling beside most yaks you have to back off a lot because just paddling at a normal cadence you will walk off and leave them.
Comfort and weight carry capabilities are great ,as you add weight she just doesn’t notice it at all and the 7 ft cockpit is easy in and out, two 5 ft enclosed decks carry a lot of gear. A note here she does like to be loaded tail heavy.
This last weekend we paddled 14 miles loaded 7 up and 7 downriver,shallows ,deep holes , going through blow downs with a lot of current .she just handles it all in stride , the hull is slick enough to paddle upriver better than any boat I own.
I have to rate this boat head and shoulders above any boat I have ever paddled . I guess that says it all.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
After putting more and more miles on her ,I really wouldnt change anything.
She just fits me.
Ron
This is the first boat that I have paddled and not been cruising along thinking what I will change on the next one.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Naaaaaaaa
I am building a strong back right now for the smaller NW ,this will be a new deal ,a full striper and no pressure as far as time on that build ,might even get a little fancy on this one.
:D :D :D
Ron

Roger

Nov 20, 2011
Far South Coast NSW Australia
I have to agree with you Ron. The Northwind is a heck of a boat. It is a canoe wich will keep up with most kayaks and leave many in it's wake.

I put a rudder in mine, but it is entirely unnecessary. This boat tracks very straight. You just pick a spot in the distance and paddle towards it. Mine is a perhaps a tad slow to turn in skinny water, so the rudder can come in handy there. One thing that the rudder does come in handy for however, is when your stop to take a picture or cast a line. Murphy's law states that any boat will always drift and turn to face the opposite direction before you can piont a camera or cast a line.

The boat is stable and predictable and nice and roomy. Although I have not had the opportunity to try it in really rough or windy conditions I have no reason to doubt it's ability to handle most things in it's stride. I certainly would feel a lot safer in this, than in any pirogue or open canoe. It is a boat that is versitile and capable of so many things without ever being a compromise.
This craft is more complex to build then many, but the rewards are well and truly worthwhile.

Roger

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The definition of kayak or decked canoe is so blurred I think you can call it what ever you want and still be correct.
Roger I have paddled her in rough water and it is a breeze ,no hull slap,and a dry ride.I drive Matt crazy with my changes to his decks but they really work well in the high wind areas I paddle
If you look at the pic of Mine on the trailer you can see where I tapered the deck down to the bottom of the tumbleholm in the front and rear ,plus no combing this really stream lines the boat and is a pleasure in high wind.
They are great boats.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Played in the Northwind today.
The wind was blowing 25 to 35 miles an hour and since I have never played in rough water in this boat I decided to go play :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I paddled 3 miles and did some surfing ,this boat doesnt even know it is in water most folks woundnt even paddle in. I stayed dry and had a blast. Going into the waves she road smooth no hull slap just knifed though them
This boat just continues to amaze me.
Ron