Squeegee?? (Applying glass/epoxy) | SouthernPaddler.com

Squeegee?? (Applying glass/epoxy)

TK1

Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Hi,

I'm just about to glass the outside of my Chesapeake 17 plywood kayak. Finally!

I did the interior and seams with a disposable brush, but the outside is recommended to apply the epoxy to the glass with a squeegee.

So, firstly, what's a squeegee? A solid foam one thing like is used for grouting tiles? Or an open pore sponge like used to wash dishes? Or something else?

Secondly, is this recommended, or do people have more luck with rollers or brushes?

Interested to know what people use or have tried and what works best.

Thanks,
Darren
Melbourne, Australia

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
A squeegee is a tool with a flat rubber blade. They are often used to clean windows. They come in many sizes and shapes.
squeegee.jpg

I mainly used a foam roller, but used a squeegee some also.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
These are the type I use. Plastic.
squeegees200.jpg

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/supplies/tools/squeege/index.htm

You may be able to find something similar at a automotive parts store in the repair (bondo) section.

I like the squeegee for applying the epoxy to cloth, because it really lets you move the epoxy around. Also easy to apply really thin coats of epoxy. Tho there are also places where the disposable chip brushes work better to.

DM
mike

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
s

I go with the mouse on this one.

The rubber squeeges are sold at the BIG BOX stores and work well . Others prefer the short nap rollers.

If you go with the squeeges, remember to clean off the leading edge after you use it. The epoxy will leave hardened bits that will snag on subsequent use.

Also note that on the squeeges, there is a "slanted edge" which is the face and a flat edge.

I tend to put a "heavy coat of epoxy on the glass to start. Then as the glass gets wetted, I "squeegie" the epoxy to leave a thin coat. It will normally take two or three coats to fill in the glass.

digr57

Feb 1, 2008
Tallahassee fl
Yes the pictures dangermouse posted are the ones you need. You should be able to get them at any auto parts store as they are used for bondo.Start in the middle top of boat pour out a 3 or 4 inch dollup of epoxy and spread around wetting out glass. What you want to do is wet out glass without putting on to much and floating the glass. It should all be wet with no white spots or bubbles. After you have done whole bottom you can take the squegee and scrape off excess. This works much better than a brush in my opinion its quicker and less likely to float glass.

TK1

Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Cool! Thanks for the replies, now I know what to look for, and will be off to the local auto parts store or big hardware this week.

Have just sanded the hull and am currently planing the sheer clamps to get the deck radius right. That will take me a while...especially in 95 degrees farenheit heat (no epoxying today...)

Regards,
Darren

dawallace45

I've used both sorts but I much prefer the ones Jimmy posted for spreading large areas of epoxy , they make life so much easier than the other sort mouse posted , at least for the way I do it , I buy cheap ones for a dollar or two each and just toss them after use as it costs more to clean than buy a new one

David

JT

Dec 21, 2007
Denton, TX
I'm with David on that--I like the rubber-edged one. So far, I haven't had the epoxy stick to it, and it's been reusable...I do wipe the edge off when done...

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Doing what's expedient(cheap)

I'm using a discarded vien from a verticle blind. It's about 3" wide and has a "cupped" shape formed into it's length. I just cut a piece off about 4-6" long and spread the epoxy with it. I suppose you could use a rubber spatula out of the kitchen if the misses doesn't catch you? :wink:

Lee

Tor

Hey TK,

I got mine from Bunnings very similar to the ones DM uses and they are good, also got two squeegees at $8 each, they do the foam rollers too (at half the price the boat store sells them at) I haven't done much glassing yet - just the spliced joints but I have a solid roller the sort used to flatten the joins in wallpaper. It's about 30mm wide and great at getting the bubbles from under the cloth.

Tor

TK1

Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks all,

I like the scrap of blind idea, but will go with the easy option (not having any blinds to destroy) and follow Tor's advice of a trip to Bunnings for a few squeegies.

Will post some pics of the boat once I make some more progress.

Regards,
Darren