Spudholes | SouthernPaddler.com

Spudholes

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I was clicking through some old bookmarks the other day and found this: Spudholes

Pretty neat concept. A hull thru-hole with a glassed PVC pipe to drive your cajun anchor (stick) through and keep you stationary. I was just wondering how many folks have seen something like this before.

BTW - He's charging $35 ($70 for two - bargain!) for about a foot of 1-1/2" PVC. Nice profit margin. I might go into the spudhole selling business :wink:

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I have installed them and used them. The materials are the least of it. For me installing them and worrying about making them a solid part of the boat that would last as long as the boat was more costly than 70$. I love them though for my duck hunting pirogue. They make the little boat a pretty stable shooting platform. Shot my first full limit of ducks out of it this season.

The problem came when I went to step out over the blind sides, caught a foot, slipped on the bottom of the boat and ended up flat on my back in the blackest swamp mud imaginable. I got the idea from Chapman also, had to attempt it and it worked out OK. I also copied his seats just made with stacks of board foam and glassed over, that is how I did it anyway.

Tom in Missouri

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
mais cher

you mean something like this? we do it whenever someon asks for it

marshpirogue.jpg

nothing to it

use a long drill bit and drill a small (1/8") hole through the breasthook and bottom at the same time

then use a hole saw or forstner bit of the right size to cut a hole in the breasthook and bottom - the smal pilot hole was to be sure your big holes line up

pass you a piece of PVC pipe between both holes, flush with the bottom and flush with the top and epoxy in. Probably want to rough up the outside of the PVC pipe so the epoxy will stick better. or you can use 3M 5200 to seal it up

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
Alot of guys with fishing kayaks use their scupper holes in similar manner. They say it works great with a stake out driven thru the scupper in marsh flats.

islandpiper

Rpecot, i was inspector on some Lake Michigan Pipeline once, 72" diameter pipe, installed off a "laying barge" that had two spuds on it. Now.......they were twenty four inches on a side, square, and about a hundred feet tall. The dragline crane could pick them, a fellow would pull the through-pin, and the crane would just let them fall, hitting the hard bottom of Lake Michigan, and holding the whole rig in place. One day, the USCG flew out to the rig with a chopper........

One of the fellows had oiled the big honkin' rollers that guided the spuds, using about a pint of thirty weight. The sheen from that little bit of oil went down the lake toward Chicago and left a trail about a mile long. It sure did have the Coasties all worked up. Ah......the good ole' days. piper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
When I was running Tow Boats, one time I pushed a pipeline lay barge set that was 1025 feet long. Most of what I did was push a 40x120 ft spud barge around and move drilling rigs.
Bob