Snow Shoe 14 SOF | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Snow Shoe 14 SOF

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
I am amazed by the quality of your work. And totally in awe of the patience necessary to do this quality. The dacron cover will be interesting. When I was young, I did a aircraft restore with this stuff.
Dan

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
DCRICE said:
I am amazed by the quality of your work. And totally in awe of the patience necessary to do this quality. The dacron cover will be interesting. When I was young, I did a aircraft restore with this stuff.
Dan
The Dacron will be a challenge, but I look forward to it. I like trying and hopefully accomplishing new things.

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
Was up early this morning and laid the Dacron cloth.
After I finally figured it out, it is actually a fairly easy process. The Dacron shrinks better than you would think. I would have never thought I would have gotten all the wrinkles out, but it is wrinkle free and tight enough to use for a drum.
The rub rails are on, but not finished.
Next I will flip it over and work on the stem pieces.

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
Looks interesting, Swampus Woodicus. Do they ever position ribs on the inside, and longerons on the outdide?
That is a good question, but I do not think they would do much good. When you shrink the Dacron it fits its surroundings. It does not stretch flat.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
swampwood said:
Kayak Jack said:
Maybe. Will ribs stick out further than do the longerons?
Yes, it is not a smooth finish. It will break the water resistance for sure.
So the ribs sticking out causing drag and little eddys will Decrease over all water resistance as opposed to longerons being on the outside of the ribs giving a smooth uninterrupted flow form stem to stern. The water hugging the fabric creates more resistance. Kinda like laminar flow on an airplane wing. Is that close?
Bob

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
swampwood said:
Benn a little while since last post, but I finally got the Spar Urethane and painted the frame.
Actually even streched the Kevlar strands on it. With the help of Beekeeper.

This is a very interesting build. The construction steps are like other builds but the different materials require different skills. It is even different than traditional sticks and skin building. No lashing wood together. No sewing of cloth. The backing stings are kevlar and are held tight and in place by glue tape melted with a clothes iron. Very strong stuff.
It is going to be a very nice looking canoe with the wood showing through the cloth. I am anxious to see how little it weighs.

beekeeper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Kayak Jack said:
Probably reversed there. Burbles are a sign of drag.
I'm not understanding what you mean Jack. Can anyone explain.
Ribs outside of longerons.
Longerons outside of ribs.
Which would be best and for what reason. I'm assuming that there is a good reason the ribs are on the outside as that is what the designer wanted. I am curious as to why.
Bob Wannano

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Any framing member - whether streamlined with the flow as a canoe moves as longerons are, or athwart it as ribs are - can create undulations in the final, stretched skin. If these undulations, or waves in the skin, are athwart the flow, they are not streamlined, and can cause turbulence along the skin as the boat moves through the water. Turbulence is a sign of drag.

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
swampwood said:
Kayak Jack said:
Looks interesting, Swampus Woodicus. Do they ever position ribs on the inside, and longerons on the outdide?
That is a good question, but I do not think they would do much good. When you shrink the Dacron it fits its surroundings. It does not stretch flat.
Jack,
I went over the plans and Building description again. The plans show the stringers on the outside? The description never says anything about moving them from the forms too the outside! Apparently they are put on the forms just to bend and glue the ribs to the inner and outer gunnel. Then the stringers are removed and glued to the outside of the ribs.
Being I never had any experience with Dacron before I figured the Dacron would stretch flat across the ribs, "wrong".
This is a one of a kind " skeleton canoe".