JT

Dec 21, 2007
Denton, TX
Fiberglass can make you curse!

How do you guys smooth out
1) edges?
2) dual layers/seams?
and
3) epoxy runs (those drips that weren't there during wetout but magically appear overnight while drying)?

Is there a tolerance for using the random orbit sander (i.e., so you're not sanding all the way through the glass) --or do you just keep adding layers of epoxy?

Thoughts?

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
This has been talked about quite a bit. I think most of these guys are going to say a good quality carbide paint scraper. I think the sander is way to much overkill.
Richard

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
I vote for prevention
One of the best ways I've found for making smooth transitions (joints) is to cover the joint with 6 mil clear polyethylene sheeting. Then using a dry roller or squeegee roll the joint smooth. Get rid of as many air bubbles as possible, smooth all the wrinkles and rough spots, then leave it alone. Remember if you want a nice smooth transition or joint, you need to cover an area large enough that you can featherthe edge to make it near invisible.

For edges: I like to come back when the epoxy is still at the green stage, firm but not fully cured, and slice off bumps, drips, runs, and bugs that landed on my boat with a single edged razor blade.

Now for curing what you already have. scraper and pwoer sander. Always wear a NIOSH approved dust mask when you sand. You don't want glass fibers in your lungs.