SMOKED FISH!!! | SouthernPaddler.com

SMOKED FISH!!!

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
HEY!! It's me... LOL Does anyone here have a good method of cooking large fish filets ie; catfish in the wood smoker?? I would brine them overnight first.....
THanks KAHUNA :D

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I can't help you with that, but be sure to get rid of any gray or black tissues. If you leave the grey and black, it will have a strong fishy flavor. Cleaned really well, the catfish is darned good!

Mike

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Smoked fish are salty, so they add it either dry or with brine. I'd try dry salt rub first; it's easier. Stone age people dried fish and skoked fish, so it can't be technologically difficult.
Key issue is, when done, it should take a lot of beer to wash it down.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I haven't tried it but a friend of mine did.
He used a couple of large Cats I got for him and he said the smoked out pretty good but tasted muddy. He figured it was due to the size of them , over 20 pounds each. I got them from a flowing stream.
Use smaller Cats , the ones that you would like to have fried up for a meal.

If I remember ( correctly ) the steps he took they were as follows.
He fileted the sides of the cats and left the skin on after cleaning it , soaked them and then rinsed and smoked them over some fine mesh grid work.
I would skin them so just the meat is being smoked and cured. Mullet , Spanish Kings , and all the others are normally scaled , cleaned and smoked.

I checked on the web and found this .... http://www.smoker-cooking.com/smoked-catfish.html
They say to SKIN THE FILLETS.