Silicone Water Guard | SouthernPaddler.com

Silicone Water Guard

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
This is a rerun of a former topic. I think it was Chuck, (or, somebody better looking) who first aimed us at Silicone Water guard ( http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproo ... guard.html ) . THIS STUFF WORKS!

However, I was unwary a few weeks ago, and got something that's on the same page of the same site - it's in the "close, but no cigar" category. ( http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproo ... guard.html ) . The BIG difference is, the wrong stuff is water based. (sound of GONG here, from the Gong Show)

I had a part of a can of the silicone stuff, and sprayed a tent until it ran out. Then I started with the water based crap. It beaded and ran off of the first spray!. And, it didn't go nearly as far per can either.

Be sure you get the real stuff, not the water based stuff.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Lazyriverguy (Joe ) did his tent fly with it and told me about it on a river trip as I watched the rain water bead and run off his tent fly like water off a ducks back. I got home and picked up a couple of cans and tried it.....
Then passed the word on here about the good stuff.

Chuck.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Would regular silicone spray from the hardware store do the same thing? If it does it would probally be cheaper. Same thing with Gun Scrubber and spray brake cleaner from the automotive store. Does the same thing only cheaper.
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not sure about the stuff from the hardware store , I know this one works.

This is not that bad on the cost for what you get. A person can locate it in the camping section at Wally World.
Just look for the bright Orange cap with the Yellow decal on the top of the cap. One can will do a 7 x 16 tarp *** and still have some left over. I soaked my tarp while hanging on a clothes line and let it dry , even had some left over in the can. I had two cans to play it safe , still have them.

*** The tarp I treated was some rip stop nylon I had cut and trimmed ( alterations to it ) to fit over the top of my little camper as extra rain protection.
It's the green on the top of the camper.
oct25%20003.jpg

One treatment is good for a year. :D

siliconewg.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Bob, I've tried the stuff from hardwares, and in a word, (to answer your question of, "Will it work as well"), no. It will make the first cupful of water bead, after that, you get wet. The orange can that Chuck pictured is the stuff that works for me. That's the stuff I referred to in my first post of this thread. I've tried several others and was always disappointed.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
a Bald Cypress said:
Although, to this point, I have not had a problem with water leaking through my tarp.

Would this product be useful on my hammock tarp ? :?:

Don't know why it would not be useful. Joe used it to recondition the rain flys on the tents he rented at the Outpost when he owned it. He also used it on his personal tent. If the waterproofing on your hammock tarp was silicone then all you would be doing is reinforcing the waterproofing.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Baldy, yes, it would. I use it on my Gore Tex garments to retain water repellency (that's different than water proof, which keeps water from going all the way though - repellency is just the very outside part).

(And, to be accurate, there is also someone who is repellent. That has nothing to do with not getting wet. It's more as in unpleasant or disgusting to be around. Like, most any of us three days into a geezer trip. More like, some who are that way BEFORE the trip!)

WDfrmTN

Wannabe said:
Would regular silicone spray from the hardware store do the same thing? If it does it would probally be cheaper. Same thing with Gun Scrubber and spray brake cleaner from the automotive store. Does the same thing only cheaper.
Bob
"Yes", and "No"
If you are like me and wash & dry your tents after trips (ran a Cub Scout Pack for 5 years, and the Asst. Scoutmaster for 2), then the hdwe store stuff (as long as it isn't water based) works good. It just has to be applied each time you set your tent up.
The stuff Chuck mentioned, or "Camp-Dry" brand work better and last longer, even through storage and a few washings.