Silhouette shooting | SouthernPaddler.com

Silhouette shooting

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
A few years back, a friend invited me to his club's pistol silhouette shoot. All I had was my Ruger .22 Mark II with the bull barrel and a 1.5 power scope. Everyone else had tricked out pistols of various calibers with high power scopes.. My friend said I could just shoot a fun round. I learned one thing--- offhand shooting at 25, 50,75 and 100 yards will give you an appreciation for a good rest.

I found out that, up until that time, no one had shot a perfect score of 40. I shot 9 out of 40, which everyone there said was pretty decent for a first timer. The ram out at 100 yards is about the size of a raccoon. It is SMALL looking through a 1.5 power scope.

Might step on some toes, but a full length bolt action receiver with a 16" or so barrel and a pistol grip is not my idea of a pistol. Very good and accurate weapon, but hardly could be considered a hand gun.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
In Nam, I had opportunity to shoot a fair amount. Worked my way up to where my .38 would print a 10" group at 100 yards off a rest. Using a "sling" (a cord around the back of my neck and tightly up under the pistol grip of the .38) I printed about a 13" group.

My .357 has earned deer, squirrels, rabbits, quail, muskrats, and groundhogs.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
JD
I call that a carbine :lol:
I get a new gun, fire at least a hundred rounds threw it with pretty hot ammo then clean it fire 25 more and then I start testing .
I usually mount a 3 to 7 scope and fire it with the butt of the pistol sitting on a sandbag, I do not like the action or barrel on a bag I have seen that effect your impact point, I start shooting 5 shoot strings of different loads until I find one that shoots well and is acurate.
I take the scope off and go back to iron sights , now when I pull the trigger if it does not hit it is my fault .
I will probably start a storm here but I never clean the bore in a gun unless it has been wet or starts scattering shots the crown(last 1/2 of the barrel is where your accuracy comes from and you can damage that with a cleaning rod and get premature wear.
Basically I do the same when I am working on a compound bow, rifle are muzzle loader.
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Same cleanin' on rimfires......I figger more harm haz been done by too much barrel cleanin'. I clean centerfires more, but try not overdo that either. I clean my pellet guns 'n rimfires with Goo Gone on a Patchworm. Ever now 'n then I clean a rimfire with Hoppe 9. I never run a rod down a pellet gun 'er a rimfire.