Seeing Dapper Al | SouthernPaddler.com

Seeing Dapper Al

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I flew a long, cross country flight today, from Mason Michigan up to Oscoda, where Dapper Al hides out in the summer. This is where Michigan's famed Au Sable River ends as it merges into Lake Huron.

All the way up, every checkpoint fell into place as advertised. I flew past Bay City, where Bear's Buddy hangs out, but didn't see him outside waving as I went by. After lunch, Al took me on a tour of Oscoda and the area where he lives. He has a beautiful home, a really neat wife, and a large workshop. (No wonder he's always grinning!) Then, he took me back to the airfield.

I took off, heading for West Branch to land and refuel. Never found west Branch! I followed its VOR, but the signal wandered, needle wavered, and I got losted. I found a town that was where I thought West Branch should be, the VOR needle wavered and waggled really erratically, an indication that I was close to it's point of origin - but circling the town twice failed to disclose a runway. As Wilbur may have once said, "Hmm, Orville, what do we do now?"

Neither Orville nor Wilbur were forthcoming with any great sounding ideas, and I was fresh out. DAMN! I sure won't get my license if I can't find my way following a radio beam and get lost! Well, maybe I'll select a different radio beam. So, I dialed in Saginaw to the south, and on the way home anyway, and started south.

My flight plan duration had run out, and I couldn't raise either Flight Services, or Saginaw tower, or anyone else to close it out. Finally, I got within range and the good folks in the tower at Saginaw rescued me by closing it out, and clearing me to enter the pattern and land on runway 5. 19.5 gallons of avgas and a cup of coffee later, I came home. I could have made it home unrefueled, but not without flying into my reserve fuel on purpose. And, that's not a smart thing to do. I did the cowardly thing and dropped in for gas.

Sitting safely at home, glass of wine now in hand, I can think of a couple other things I could have done at the time. But, that hindsight is now going to have to be foresight at a future episode. For tonight, this is close enuff fer guvmint werk.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
"Experience", as in the old saying: "Most of our good judgment comes from experience. And, most of our experience comes from bad judgment"?

I expect that some of the better pilots on here can tell me several other things I could have done too.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
West Branch International is East of town and South of M-55. The strip may be hard to find--green grass blends well with the green trees. Watch for deer crossing the runway. :mrgreen:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I agree, Dick. Once I'm licensed the new GPS will be in the plane. Up until then, though, I'm still using a lodestone to find north, and to find longitude, I'm killing cows to compare their "moo" to ones in England.

(If you haven't read the little book, "Longitude", get it. Really exposes differences between superstition and fact. Kinda like "Origin of the Species" in that regard.)