rifle | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

rifle

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Ron both of those hogs were huge. :shock: :eek: mine was a russion boar like too he was a long way from that. I bet the bar one did get big and fat after he was cut and released. David man you must be shooting them kangerros and elephants with those calibers? :lol:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
David
I guess I am lucky ,recoil doesnt seem to effect me, but I will say this I had one of the finest shots in the USA teach me.
The 7mm isnt for every body that is for sure, and if you go back and read my post I didnt recommend the 7mm to anyone.
This rifle will one hole them all day long at a hundred yards off a bench ,not many rifles will do that and I can shoot a hundred rounds in a day and still be having fun.
Ron

dawallace45

Ron

Mostly recoil doesn't affect me either but the 7m Rem mag is one exception , actually the only other rifle I had a problem with was a Ruger ultra-light in 270W , it come fitted with a leupold 2-7 scope , I bought it second hand and it come with half a box of bullets , I bought another box of 20 when I picked it up , I shot it a few times , decided that I was developing a flinch and made the decision to get rid of it , several potential buyers shot the gun and when it sold there was still about half a box of rounds that went with it , that was my third 270 and I never had a problem with the recoil of any of the others , the other guy who tried the gun were all experienced shooters who were used to using large calibres but they also found the recoil a bit sharpish

Now the 7x57 cartridge is one of my all time favourites , still reckon it's one of the best hunting rounds I've ever used , the only reason I choose the 30/06 over it is because of the better availability of projectiles

I do have to say this , while I would never recommend the 223 to anyone as a hunting round for larger game like pigs and deer as it's really too light for all circumstances , I do have to admit that I've shot many many big pigs with it and a number of deer , at one stage I was using the 63gn and 65gn game kings and my rifle handled them very well , I much prefer the 223 over faster rounds like 22/250 and the 220 Swift , I've used all extensively on pigs and found that the faster rounds blew up before they could penetrate well , where the much much slower 223 would get into the chest cavity of a pig that had a layer of mud over the shoulder and side

I know it does sound counter intuitive but that is how it worked for me , and while I have always recommended calibres like 7x57 and 30/06 for hunting I've actually shot a lot more beasties with the 223 but mainly that is what I carried most for many years because I was shooting roos professionally off and on at the time and the 223 is perfect for head shooting roos

David

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
well I got to break my new rifle in this week. got me a spike deer. :D cant really say how good at long range it is he was only 20 steps from me and closing when I placed a round in the neck and dropped him. :mrgreen: I can say he didn,t run off though?