RENDEZVOUS 2011 | SouthernPaddler.com

RENDEZVOUS 2011

islandpiper

Well, Rendezvous 2011 is now history. And, a grand history it is. We got together at our house in Louisiana pretty early and continued on till pretty late (for geezers) yesterday. As usual.....way too much REALLY GOOD FOOD, and just the right amount of conversation, showing off, toys, boats, and even a couple short naps thrown in.

I have not connected my camera to the cable to the computer yet. That is either pure laziness or it is the "recovery phase". But, I'll try to get to it by dark sometime today.

No, it was not the largest crowd we've ever had. In part because lots of guys just had other things to do and in part because I didn't invite in the usual crowd of local hungry friends and musicians. But, the weather was great, we parked on the front yard (last year you could hardly WALK on the yard it was so soft).

Pictures coming, I promise. And, I think some other folks got pictures, too. Kayak Jack and his new GF have a ton, but won't have them posted for a week or so.

Standby........Piper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
We can wait on the pictures. You deserve a "recovery phase". Thank you and your family for the hospitality, and all the hard work.
I enjoyed visting with everyone. Good to have a new member there. Welcome Loafer.
It was a GRAND DAY! :D I was proud to be there.

Thanks to everybody.
beekeeper

islandpiper

Here's the group: from left to right.....Jdupre', Loafer, Piper, Beekeeper, Kayak Jack, Bears Buddy, Rpecot

P3190317.jpg

Lots of discussion

P3190320.jpg

P3190322.jpg

Sometimes in the sun, and sometimes in the shade

P3180312.jpg

The tables hardly held it all

P3180306.jpg

Pulled smoked pork
P3180301.jpg

some healthy coleslaw

P3180300.jpg

bacon explosion

P3180288.jpg

P3180299.jpg

the WORLDS BEST SALSA

P3180308.jpg

and tater salad

P3180309.jpg

and green onion sausage hot off the smoker

P3180310.jpg

And GEEZER NAP TIME after lunch

snooze-1.jpg

Maybe more later.......piper

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Another success! Got there a little late, left a little early, but still a good time. The food, the company, the boats, the _______ (fill in the blank) was exceptional once again. Thanks to piper for again hosting this great get together.

islandpiper

Since it seems that the Bacon Explosion caused some hard feelings this year, we considered not doing it......and then common sense won over. Here it is:

Here's the legendary and apparently socially dangerous BACON EXPLOSION. Just for the record, this one weighed in at just about four pounds before cooking. After cooking some reports indicated that the group had gained a total of 22 pounds.

First, the layout and weaving:
P3170280.jpg

And, covered in two kinds of pork sausage

P3170281.jpg

Then, alternating stripes of BBQ sauce, cheese, crumbled bacon

P3170282.jpg

The sausage, rolled and sealed

P3170283.jpg

And, with the bacon lattice rolled around it, and formed

P3170283.jpg

And, after about 4 hours on the smoker, to an internal temp of almost 200 degrees, just to be sure, and to let all the excess fat drip off

P3180288.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
rpecot said:
Another success! Got there a little late, left a little early, but still a good time. The food, the company, the boats, the _ SNORING ______ (fill in the blank) was exceptional once again. Thanks to piper for again hosting this great get together.

I filled in the blank for you..........I know it was a staged picture , Joey would never be taking a nap , the rest not quite sure about , strong possibility of that but Jack , that is a given. :lol:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Looks like a Grand Time was had by all. Sure wish I could have been there. When you get rested up and fully recovered may we have some pictures of the boats. I am glad ya'll had such a good time.
Bob

islandpiper

Finally, good ol' Charter let enough electrons drip through to upload a simple five pictures. Anybody else here have the poor fortune to be connected to them?

Beekeeper is a humble man.....his ego is almost non-existant.....he does not take any credit for the FINE WORK he does. In short, WHAT A BEAUTIFUL BOAT!!! There is not a missed line or joint anyplace. The double layer breasthooks are outstanding. Each one has a floating brass ring that only sticks up if you lift it, so it won't hook on brush, etc. The glass work on the outside is spotless and smooth. One word.....WOW!!

P3180291.jpg

P3180292.jpg

P3180293.jpg

P3180294.jpg

P3180295.jpg

piper

islandpiper

We only had the two boats in the yard. We missed the classics that Keith and Seedtick always bring. My old worn out UJ sat quietly under the trees in the back yard. Still, all day we worried that there would be a wreck in front as people slowed down in traffic, veered across the center lane and craned their necks back to stare at these two beautiful boats .

piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Passers-by were definitely rubber-necking all day long. To their credit, all the guys told only true - and certifiably so - stories. Pauline and I enjoyed listening to Christina and some of her colleagues play a large selection of cello music on Friday evening. Then, she serenaded us at the Rendezvous. It's nice watching and listening to this young lady and her cello that her dad made for her. I'm almost as proud as Diane and Keith.

The bacon 'splosion was a real taste treat. Keith promised us it was the diet version. (I watched very carefully, and he did not have any fingers crossed while he was speaking.) He also had various smoked meats of different types to pass around. I've been a fan of smoked meat since I was in diapers (they were made of corn shucks in those days), and Keith's smoked meats are some of the best I've tasted.

I just returned from a 2,000 mile jaunt, and it was to go see Keith, Diane, Christina, and the guys who gather for his Rendezvous. Worth every mile.

islandpiper

Jack, thanks for driving down. It was good to see you and to meet Pauline. This was not our BIGGEST Rendezvous, but it was still great fun sitting and talking, and snacking on assorted goodies. To all you other guys, too, THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO TAKE PART. Your attendance and food and ideas, etc were all appreciated and went a long way toward making the FOURTH ANNUAL RENDEZVOUS a success.

piper