Recent work | SouthernPaddler.com

Recent work

LSUh20fowler

Sep 18, 2013
Been busy since I been home. Been off for 10 days now and getting ready to head back to work for 14 days. Heres some paddles and burns I've made since I've been home. The small paddle is made out of some pine I had laying around. The other three are all cypress one piece paddles. Had problems with finishing the LSU theme paddle. Put varnish on it but it stayed tacky. After waiting 4 days to dry, I sanded it down and had to reburn some pieces. Not sure what I'll do with it now. Finished one with boiled linseed oil. Really like how it brought out the grain. Other one is unfinished for now.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Nice! :)

Do you use stencils? If so, how do you transfer them to the wood?

Thanks,
beekeeper

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
we occasionally have that "slow to dry" problem with old growth cypress and oil based paint and varnish

I suspect that it has something to do with the natural oil in the wood, I've talked to several paint formulators and they have no explanation. you can get around it by thinning the first coat 50/50 with mineral spirits. I have had some luck wiping down the sticky finish with mineral spirits

'

LSUh20fowler

Sep 18, 2013
beekeeper said:
Nice! :)

Do you use stencils? If so, how do you transfer them to the wood?

Thanks,
beekeeper

I used some transfer paper my wife picked up at hobby lobby for me. I just print out a what I want, put the transfer paper down between the picture and the wood and trace over it with a stylus pen used with that type of paper.

Thanks on the varnish. Doing some research now to find what a good waterproof finish would be good for my paddles.