Quick and Hearty Hunter's Breakfast | SouthernPaddler.com

Quick and Hearty Hunter's Breakfast

mommicked

Nov 18, 2006
Coastal NC
This evolved for me this hunting season. It's quick, tasty, and leaves you warm and full for a long day out in the cold. Vary it as you like, and it could be good canoe/camping food too.

Per person:
2 packs instant oatmeal (I like apple cinnamon or raisin spice)
1 4 oz cup of Motts or Whitehouse Apple Sauce (I like cinnamon)
Handful of dried fruit (I like blueberry Craisins; apples, pineapple or raisins would be good too)
Milk as called for in the oatmeal packet
Healthy dashes of nutmeg or pie spice mix
Honey to taste

Nuke (if home) or boil as required by packet instructions. The oatmeal with the fruit, apple sauce, and pie seasoning is really tasty, and turns bland oatmeal into a breakfast I really look forward to. It stays with you, and builds a fire in you that stays lit for a while. Plus, oatmeal is very good for you, and you can omit the honey if need be. For me, it goes well with coffee.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Besides out camping , here at home .........
I like to use the Instant Quaker Oatmeal , the Cinnamon and Spice or the Cinnamon Swirl and add to that a pack of the Cinnamon instant Cream Of Wheat. To that some Raisins ( the amount is up to what do you like ) along with some sliced Almonds. I guess you could use any nut's that you like , it adds some crunch to everything.

It's a simple meal to make one half cup of water for each the oatmeal and the Cream of Wheat a combination of one full cup of water. Boil the water and add everything to it , stir to rehydrate and enjoy.

If I just have either of the cinnamon instant oatmeal's then I normally drizzle some honey over it. I don't add any sweetener to the Cream of Wheat it is already really sweet. :D

Never thought of the apple sauce or spices added to it , will have to give it a try. If anything it would add more flavor to everything. I like the Craisins ( dried Cranberries ) and get them to make a trail mix , they would be good in the breakfast mix , sort of a sweet an sour mixture.

Chuck........

mommicked

Nov 18, 2006
Coastal NC
I've never had Kareem of Wheat. If it's anything like oatmeal, I'd probably love it. The slice almonds sounds like a really good suggestion. Anything that has apples, cinnamon and raisins would have to be really screwed up to be bad! :mrgreen: