Quetico | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Quetico

JEM

Roger said:
How's the leg/foot room behind the forward bulkhead?

Tight, but just right for me. I will be using the bulkhed as a footrest. For anyone taller than me, or wanting commercial footrests, the bulkhead would have to go further foward.

Good feedback. I'll make a note of that in the plans. Perhaps add another optional bulkhead about 8" forward.

sskiff

May 31, 2012
Jacksonville, Fl.
Very nice looking boat Roger! Also thanks for posting pictures and the reports. When I deliver the new duck to my nephew there's gonna be an empty space in the shop and I've been thinking about a rec/light touring boat. We love the Wood Ducks in the skinny creeks but are starting to look at more open water...emphasis will be on stability and cockpit room (I need to move around a lot to keep the back from whining.) Your choice looks a good fit.

Is this a custom design Matt? I couldn't find plans/specs listed on your site. Also curious about the weight, how does she carry?

Seems a bit rude to hit you with more questions than compliments, just a bit excited after seeing your boat. She looks pretty and comfortable.

Bob

JEM

sskiff said:
Very nice looking boat Roger! Also thanks for posting pictures and the reports. When I deliver the new duck to my nephew there's gonna be an empty space in the shop and I've been thinking about a rec/light touring boat. We love the Wood Ducks in the skinny creeks but are starting to look at more open water...emphasis will be on stability and cockpit room (I need to move around a lot to keep the back from whining.) Your choice looks a good fit.

Is this a custom design Matt? I couldn't find plans/specs listed on your site. Also curious about the weight, how does she carry?

Seems a bit rude to hit you with more questions than compliments, just a bit excited after seeing your boat. She looks pretty and comfortable.

Bob

it will be up on the site soon. I believe Rodger said (in another post) it came in just under 40 pounds using 3mm ply. She'll handle up to 250 on board just fine.

Roger

Nov 20, 2011
Far South Coast NSW Australia
it will be up on the site soon. I believe Rodger said (in another post) it came in just under 40 pounds using 3mm ply

In actual fact, the bare hull, complete but without hatches, seat, fittings or varnish, came in at just 13.7 kgs or a tad over 30lbs in imperial talk.

hairymick01

woodman said:
About time to add a 17' touring kayak to you're line... :D

Mate,

Have a lookee here :-

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail ... thWind17-9

I love this boat and reckon, she is there with the best of them. Northwind MIGHT be a little better (as a decked canoe) but I have yet to be convinced and Southwind is just so much more like a kayak. With a more traditional kayak deck, you would have an ultra high volume, touring sea kayak that is a true joy to paddle.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I will probably never build a full blown sea kayak, the configurations dont answer my need in my environment. The Northwind comes close for me.
I do own the book
Ron

Roger

Nov 20, 2011
Far South Coast NSW Australia
JEM wrote:Yea it's about time to step into that arena.

When out and about in my Jem boats I am often asked about the plans and designer. Invariably the first question that I am asked is "does he do a sea kayak". This could be just an Aussie thing because we have limited navigatable inland waterways and a long coastline with over 90 percent of the population living near the coast. So bring it on Matt.

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
JEM said:
woodman said:
I meant about time to crossover ..or down to the23''-- 22'' beam 17'-18' kayaks.....Like the west river 180....the offsets are in this book..
http://www.seakayakermag.com/miva/merch ... ry_Code=BB

Yea it's about time to step into that arena.

And to throw my wish list-design-into the mix "the pygmy Murrelet 1PD" has some gorgeous lines , of which they don't sell plans for... :roll: