Quetico | SouthernPaddler.com

Quetico

Roger

Nov 20, 2011
Far South Coast NSW Australia
After building a couple of Matt’ s designs (the Okwata and the Northwind), I’m afraid I’ve got the bug and am itching to start another build. I have thought long and hard about my next kayak and what I wanted in this boat. With two power boats, a couple of canoes and a couple of kayaks I have got the fishing scene well and truly covered. What I have discovered is, that since my retirement, I seem to find most pleasure in just paddling along our many lakes and rivers for the simple enjoyment of paddling. Every day I go for a walk just for the exercise, fresh air and scenery, and several times a week I take a kayak for a paddle for much the same reasons. I can think of no greater enjoyment than cruising along the backwaters experiencing the beauty that nature has to offer.
So what I want is a touring kayak that is fast and enjoyable to paddle. I am prepared to sacrifice a little stability for performance. Knowing how efficient the Northwind is, I figured that a multichined hull would be superior. The other requirement was that it had to be Geezer friendly.ie. Compact and light enough to lift on and off roof racks easily, a large cockpit to accommodate my ageing body and stable enough to allow me to stop to take the occasional photo.
Anyway I hit Matt with my thoughts and he has come up with this absolute JEM. It is 15’5 x 23.25 and is exactly what I had in mind.

LargeCockpitIso640x480.jpg

At the moment I am on the road but I have just been advised that the plans have arrived. I can’t wait to get home and start the sawdust flying.

Cheers

Roger

JEM

Can't wait to see you in it!

It's a LOT of panels to draw and cut. Take your time. I also put a couple build notes on the drawings recommended you glass the backside of some of the skinnier tips before cutting to prevent them from chipping off.

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Kayak Jack said:
Matt does do a nice job. That boat puts me in mind of my Pygmy Osprey. This boat, and your Northwind, should fill your ticket for touring and camping.

I still think a 17' with a 22'' beam would be hot....as far a Pygmy their new Murrelet boats are real nice looking......

Roger

Nov 20, 2011
Construction of the Quetico is underway. I am using 3mm Gaboon ply and 4oz fibreglass cloth. Below is a pic of the panels cut out and butt joined.

Untitled.jpg

It's a great feeling when the panels are wired together and the boat takes shape. The panels pulled into shape really easy. Seven frames certainly helped for an accurate build.

DSC01904640x428.jpg

All the panels have now been glued and a saturation coat of epoxy applied prior to fibreglassing..

DSC01929640x428.jpg

DSC01927640x428-1.jpg

I just love the look of this hull. Unfortunately my photos dont give it full justice.

Roger

Roger

Nov 20, 2011
:D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
The Quetico has just been taken for a test run. WOW. Dropped it in at a local lake. The wind was blowing at about 50kph gusting to about 60kph. Gave it an initial try out in a sheltered bay and it performed magnificently. Tracked straight and true and yet turned easily. No dramas whatsoever so I took it out in the middle of the main lake where it was a bit choppy with a swell of about 12 inches or so. I tested it by paddling towards all points of the compass. Into the wind, diagonal to the wind and with the wind astern. Weathercocking was virtually non existant. The Quetico performed brilliantly. Into the wind it cut through the water like a hot knife through butter without any spray. Down wind it just sat up on a little wave and surfed straight ahead with no broaching at all. The boat feels quite stable, but the water is still a bit too cold in this part of the world to deliberatly capsize a boat, so I didn't find it's limit.
This boat is fast and glides effortlessly. In my other boats if I push really hard I get flutter in the paddle, but not with the Quetico. It obviously slips through the water so much more easily.
Thanks for the work you have done Matt, this boat is bloody brilliant.

DSC02002640x4282.jpg

DSC02034640x428.jpg

DSC02025640x4282.jpg

DSC02040640x428.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Nice looking wall hanger, Rog. (Curses on Matt's humor :wink: ) I like the lines of the boat; it does remind me of my Pygmy Osprey. (Where did you hire that handsome movie star to paddle the boat for you?)

Roger

Nov 20, 2011
I like the lines of the boat; it does remind me of my Pygmy Osprey

If the Osprey handles half as well as this one Jack, then it really is a great boat. :D Ok, I know I am biased, but the Quetico really has exceeded all my expectations.
By the way , I'm running out of storage space, so this one is going to have to double up as a coffee table. Thats why the flat rear deck. :wink:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Osprey is, perhaps, the best boat for open water I've seen. Not fun on a tight river, because it tracks very solidly. I've traveled lakes with white caps, breaking rollers 4'-5' high, beaver dams, etc. in it. Even with water washing over the bow, it is a mannerly lady.

I think that Matt designs as good a boat as is out there today, so your love of the Quetico is no surprise.