Question on cooking Crawchie southern style | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Question on cooking Crawchie southern style

dawallace45

Bob

Only just got my traps back from my brother yesterday , I'm going to leave them out in the yard for a few days so the rain can wash the cat shit off , need to get some more spices but we don't shop till next week , will put some traps out after that

David

JEM

Growing up in WI, we did a few fish boils with the pot over an open fire out in the country where my grandparents lived. I seem to recall a simple solution if the water didn't keep boiling: 1 cup of lighter fluid. Might have been gasoline or even kerosene. I don't recall as I was like 8. But I do recall my parents making us stand waaaaaay back and seeing the flame shoot well over the tripod holding the pot over the fire. The tripod was about 6' since it was tall as my dad.

islandpiper

Matt, i got to a number of Door County Fish Boils. that whole FLAME UP thing started out as a way to boil the fat off the top of the pot, but soon became a way to impress the tourists from Illinois with some rural shock and awe. I was always told it was gasoline....and we saw it dumped a couple of different ways. I suspect that the IQ of the dumper could have been judged by the length of the handle stick on the cup. piper

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
HI! My Cousin who lives in Louisiana says that they always put the crawdads in fresh water for several days before cooking them in order to "PURGE" the digestive tracts of the buggers. In other words..CLEAN THEM OUT GOOD before cooking!!
Kahuna :roll: