PLZ PLZ 12ft or 14ft open canoe plans needed | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

PLZ PLZ 12ft or 14ft open canoe plans needed

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I'm going to be blunt here. Considering the cost of plywood, epoxy, glass, and paint, trying to save the cost of a decent set of plans by going with a design from a self proclaimed amateur is damned foolishness. Particularly when you are doing your first build.

hopey84

Nov 1, 2010
yes mick i am english, cheers for clearing that up with the x and y bit, it makes sense now haha
yea as i said that was just an example of what i had got on some plans... was a tad confusing haha i found 1 that had the actual measurements marked on clear as day but my laptop battery died b4 i could save it and i cant for the life of me remember where i see it..

yea i think i may have to go for a plan from the likes of matt or somebody..
i really want to do a stripped canoe (is it called? im just gettin used to all this terminology) i really like the 'little rob' and 'bufflehead' but i think ill stick with the easier plywood panels for my 1st couple..

can any1 recommend some1 that has plans similar to the bufflehead canoe on: http://www.sandypointboatworks.com/Canoes.html
and also how long roughly would the plans take to reach the uk, thanks guys uv been great so far..

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
gbinga said:
I'm going to be blunt here. Considering the cost of plywood, epoxy, glass, and paint, trying to save the cost of a decent set of plans by going with a design from a self proclaimed amateur is damned foolishness. Particularly when you are doing your first build.

You said it. :D
There is no better way for a 1st time builder to get discouraged about building a wood boat then to do something like that. A great way to waste the wood , epoxy , glass and or paint and a lot of your time.

This is an experimental design drawn up by an untrained amateur. The Designer accpets no liability for any loss or damage sustained during construction or use. Builders may use these plans to construct small numbers of boats freely for their own use
Seams to me he is expecting the builder to fail. :roll:

Chuck.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
That canoe is Gavin Atkins Cinderella. The first one was built by an Aussie named Al Burke. The disclaimer is used to keep the California lawyers away. He doesn't want to be sued because someone misused his free design.

You can find pictures of the completed canoe and the plans in his book Ultrasimple Boatbuilding ISBN 978-0-07-147792-5. The yellow canoe on the cover is a Cinderella fitted with outriggers for rowing.

I have built two of his boats (an original mouseboat hull #180 and a cruising mouse hull # 212) so far. They work quite well, easy paddling, stable and cheap to build.

The X/Y coordinate system is very practical for layout of curve panels on boats that are stitch and glue construction without frames.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
gbinga said:

The more I think about it, that was kind of rude. Sorry about that.

Here's the thing. Building a boat can be a lot of fun. I've built three. I'll probably build another one some time, not because I need another boat but because it is fun.

Building a boat COULD turn into a terrible discouraging mess.

Unless you are really handy and very confident of your construction skills, you could help yourself a lot by-

-reading everything you can about building boats.

-picking well drawn plans from a "for profit" designer who could answer questions for you.

I stand by my comments earlier about being penny wise and pound foolish. Good plans won't even cost as much as the epoxy.

On the other hand, I will make an admission. The first boat I built, I built it from the small, not-to-scale plans printed in a book by a fellow named Harold Payson. Blew them up on a photocopier and just sort of winged it. Of course I did have his book and all the advice that came with it, and I am fairly handy with wood and tools.

In any case, my original comment was not as polite as it should have been, and I'm sorry about that.

George

hopey84

Nov 1, 2010
it seemed abit rude but its cool were all friends haha
you know what ur talking about as do the other guys on here so its good to get feedback, as i said this will be my 1st but not the last hopefully, and to be honest... pointers from the likes of urself and the guys on here will be much appreciated wether it be good or bad criticism as uv been there and done it urself..

im still trying to find the right plans out there b4 i got buying all the materials etc, but the boat i want to build i can only find in strip.. dont think im ready for such a build yet if im honest..

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Have a look at these, Not free but all of them are dirt cheap and should fit your needs and level of build experience nicely.

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=Eno

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/StudyPlans ... yPlans.htm

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/store ... /index.htm

both Matt and Michael are good men. fine designers and their plans and build instructions are clear, concise and complete.

All of these designs are well proven, easy to build and will be a joy to paddle - as is this one,
:D
http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/default.htm

first build- I would knock out the last one first. You will be surprised at just how good this boat really is. Thousands of Cajuns just can't be wrong. :D