Plywood- Baton Rouge area | SouthernPaddler.com

Plywood- Baton Rouge area

TomK

Mar 14, 2010
Does anyone know who in the Baton Rouge area carries 1/4" luan plywood or something else suitable to build a kayak? Also, does anyone know anything about "sandeply" plywood and that it is a possibility.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
big box stores handle it, local lumberyard in denham springs handles it also - outer layer is very thin and won't take much sanding

closest marine plywood is Gueydan's in new orleans

dunno 'bout sandeply

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Look for some Sure Ply or Super Ply which is now being sold for tile underlayment. It has X marks on one side. Its really not that bad with thicker surface layers too.

TomK

Mar 14, 2010
Thanks for the info. I'm not finding any luane in HD and Lowes around here- just that "sandeply" material. There was a "luane" tag laying on the floor at one place but i think they just pulled it off a shelf and didn't bother throwing it away.

TomK

Mar 14, 2010
Thanks Jack. If you posted a link it didn't show up.

I did find out that Riverside lumber in New Orleans has 4 mm Joubert Okoume Marine B.S. 1088 @ $41.75 a sheet. I'm assuming it's a standard 4 x 8 sheet but now that I think about it they didn't specify that.

TomK

Mar 14, 2010
Tx River Rat- Yeah, I've thought about it. I'm kinda commited to a plywood build for now.

Man, to think of how many sets of chopsticks I've thrown away over the years.

leeh

Jul 24, 2009
TomK said:
I did find out that Riverside lumber in New Orleans has 4 mm Joubert Okoume Marine B.S. 1088 @ $41.75 a sheet. I'm assuming it's a standard 4 x 8 sheet but now that I think about it they didn't specify that.

That aint a bad price, if it's full sheets (it'll be metric & slightly bigger than 4X8). Certainly more money than the door skin stuff, but I'd be all over the okoume if I had a choice and could pick it up and avoid the freight. Not trying to spark up the age old argument. Jus my 2 cents worth.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
leeh said:
I'd be all over the okoume if I had a choice and could pick it up and avoid the freight.

Amen. I found a supplier in NE Ohio that had 1/4" Okoume for about that price. I could drive 4 1/2 hours each way, or pay a $75 crate charge PLUS delivery. The local boat shop wanted $86. I'll stick to exterior grade unless this new lead I got works out.