Plexiglass good, glass bad! | SouthernPaddler.com

Plexiglass good, glass bad!

C_Brice

May 12, 2005
Iowa
Ok, I went it did it good this time. I have all my plywood cut, sanded, stained, voids filled and 1 coat of epoxy. I have the colors just right and the wood looking good. Time for the butt joints. I had looked at getting some plexiglass from Lowe's but instead I picked up some 1/4" glass that had been demo'd from the remodel job I have been working on. I figured if plexiglass was good glass was better.

Does anyone know how to get my plywood out from a glass sandwich?

Cry, Cry, Cry!

CB

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Seedtick has the right idea. Even an electric iron applied over a dry cloth will start the glass/epoxy bond separation. Expect broken glass.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Safety glasses, heat gun, flat paint scraper or two or three, gloves & patience.
(maybe toothpicks)

Start at an edge, apply the heat, slowly work the paint scraper between the wood and the glass. Once it gets under a bit, maybe add a few toothpicks to act as shims. and to stop it from re-bonding when you move along. Dont pry to much or the glass may break. If it does break, be extra careful, now you also have all the sharp edges to worry about not slicing your fingers, knuckles and hands on.

Might take an extra pair of hands, to hold the heat gun and work the paint scrapers.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

DM

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
This from the local ER: "We are here to report the successful resection of five (5) fingers on a local boat builder. Mr. Brice, can you tell us your story?"

"Well, I was following the advice of geezers that I thought were my friends. I should have guessed that gunpowder and a blowtorch wouldn't work to remove glass from plywood."

"Any way, there I was in the shop, my wife was helping and .... say! I haven't seen my wife since just before that explosion. Does anybody know where ...."

and so it goes

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I guess it is to late to tell you that the reason some 1/8th inch Plexiglases works is because it can be bent.

When staples or wire stitches get stuck in epoxy a little heat or a mild electrical current ( from a small battery) will heat the metal and soften the epoxy , then they can be removed with ease.

I would guess that some heat applied to the glass might do the trick ( from a hair dryer) ...... I would be very careful when doing that , VERY CAREFUL.

Chuck.

C_Brice

May 12, 2005
Iowa
Ya, Ya, I know, I messed it up good. Oh well, it will work out. Here's the plan:

For anyone not familier with Matt's Iroquois design it's a 5 panel canoe. I had messed up the bottom panel and the 2 upper panels. The 2 mid panels are fine.

Being the rash and impatient type I have already destroyed most of the glass and tried to chip/beat off as much as possible. Not much luck there. So I went to cutting wood. I have already removed the center 7" of the upper panels and cut and stained replacements. I haven't cut up the bottom panel but my plan is to cut out the center 10" of the panel. I have already cut and stained the replacement for the bottom panel too. This will mean 2 butt splices on each of the 3 panels. I'm really spending some time squaring up the edges and I hope the 2 splices will turn out good and not be anymore noticable than having just one. Thats the plan anyhow.

Good idea on the using heat and I may try it to salvage the bottom panel.

And guys, PLEASE, If I ever do anything like this again just skip the advice and SLAP ME AROUND?

Thanks again all,
CB

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
CB,

Removing & replacing the offending part may be a good idea. MAKE SURE that the curvature and configuration of your cobbled up panel meets original specs. It will be easy to end up with a dog-leg where it isn't supposed to be.

Good luck.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
glass

Have to agree with J on this one. A set of new panels will make life easier all around.

Also, when making the new scarf joints, use a strip of WAX PAPER between the work and the "hold down weight. Set up the joint put down a strip of WAX PAPER set the glass or whatever on the WAX PAPER then add the weight . It will seperate with no problem. Glue/Epoxy no difference; lifts right off.

Additionally, after you are finished with the joint, crumple the WAX PAPER and rub it over the saw tables. Makes them slick and eliminates the wood from "sticking" when making cuts.