Pirogues? Jon boat? or something simular. | SouthernPaddler.com

Pirogues? Jon boat? or something simular.

Rob95222

Oct 26, 2009
NEWBIE ON DECK!

I'm 70yrs young and wish to build a boat that is oar powered and very stable. It will be used in marshes and slow flat rivers for Photography of birds. Must have at least 24" of floor board for tripod use. 350lbs min. load. Single occupant.

I solicit your years of knowledge in this matter in order to make the best selection. I understand that there are many factors and predjuices. Please offer yours - no matter what the other say.

Thank You for your time and consideration.

P.S. great forum.

Rob...............

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA

Rob95222

Oct 26, 2009
Thanks, Jimmy W.,

This is the kind of info that I was looking for. Not being a native of the South I am not familiar on the uses of the various boats that this forum discusses.

I think that I would like to build a stitch and glue - maybe a variation of a bateau or jon boat. As I have to manage the boat myself, I need to keep the size and weight to minimum.

Appreciate your answer to my post. May you and yours have a great holiday season.

Rob................

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
There is a new boat being made that might fill the bill for you. Some pictures of it have been posted on his web site so ...NOW.. I can tell folks about it. It can be paddled , rowed or run with a 3 hp kicker on it. My suggestion would be oars and row it or use a motor to get to where you want and then paddle it for stealth.

It is 14 feet , 12 inch side boards and 32 1/2 inches wide on the bottom with a 43 inch beam which should make it a very stable boat. All stitch and glue. There aren't any plans for it since they ware being drawn up as I type this ,they should be available in a week or so.

http://www.unclejohns.com/bysk14

Chuck.

preacher

Aug 27, 2009
Balch Springs, Texas
I am 68 years old and this is my Bumble Bee. 16 feet long 33 inches wide. So stable I can stand in it.

101_1404.jpg

Designed my own plans. 3 sheets of plywood and 3 gallons of epoxy, a lot of fun.