Pirogue Seat: A Proto Model | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Pirogue Seat: A Proto Model

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
If caning on the second seat is a natural fiber, I would vote for it. Some "caned" seats I've sat in were not a natural cane, and didn't stretch to fit my bum. Not comfortable. Whereas, a natural material stretches to fit contour, especially when dampened. AAHHHhhhh. ;-)

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
I thought about this type of seat...The bottom is laced together with bungee....I could use the left over Polyester fabric from my latest skin boat build.....
a07-752.jpg

A07-750B.jpg

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The bungee cords probably would allow the fabric to give and form to your shape. I think I saw a chair with a bungee cord seat and back. They were crossed to make a checker board pattern. Also one with parachute chord done the same way. I'm not sure if the chords would not stretch too much for me. The fabric bottom would have one advantage over the wood slats, more protection from mosquitos. Most days I start fishing with the foam pad on the chair for protection, as much as for comfort.
I need to say that the design and system I'm using right now works well. Seated anywhere for 4 to 6 hours on any chair would be not much better. I like to build chairs/boat seats. Tweaking their design gives me an excuse to do another one. I shop at "Big and Tall, For Men" so most things I build for my use need tweaking.

beekeeper

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Guess I'm the odd-man-out, as usual! I still like the original design. For me, very comfortable!

Don't need it in the Glade Skiff, as when paddling, I sit on the poling platform. Just the right height. But I took it with me anyway on my Everglades trip, I used it as a camp chair. In the Pit Pan, the folding seat sits on the bottom all the way back at the transom. I stand to pole it, right in front of the seat. When I want to sit, I just slide the seat forward to the flat part of the bottom , raise the seat back, and sit right down. Make a good paddling seat for that one.

As a camp chair, I gotta' admit its kind of low to the ground. Nice once you're in it, but not the easiest thing to get out of. I guess I'll have to make a riser of some sort to turn it into a better camp chair. Don't really want to add another chair to my growing "standard load-out."

Besides, home-made wood boat, home-made wood seat, it just kind of looks "right."

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Suggestions for getting out of low slung seatery:
1. Hang a knotted rope from an overhead tree limb, and grab it to hoist yourself up.
2. Carry a snake in your pocket, take it out and toss it onto the ground, jump up in fright.
3. Roll sideways and then stand up.
4. Ask Bambii, the Swedish gymnast who accompanies you on fishing trips, to give you a hand.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
1. Hang a knotted rope from an overhead tree limb, and grab it to hoist yourself up.
Like the logic, hate the work.

2. Carry a snake in your pocket, take it out and toss it onto the ground, jump up in fright.
Won't work, like snakes.

3. Roll sideways and then stand up.
This one works, done it many times. Sometimes, its the only way I can get out of bed.

4. Ask Bambii, the Swedish gymnast who accompanies you on fishing trips, to give you a hand.
Tried that one ONCE! Never again. The left side of my face was paralyzed for a week. . .

But I appreciate your help! :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Mike the original design sits low and will aid in keeping your center of gravity low. You could probably use a higher seat in your Glades Skiff or Pit Pan. A higher chair will be more comfortable and easier to get out of, in the boat or as a camp chair.
A base can be built to raise the seat, but I don't like having to load and unload another item. This one worked well for me and even gave me a choice of heights:
Normal height aprox. 5"

1 st. option 8.75"

2 ed. option 10.75"

The easiest way I found is to just build the seat higher. You can use a wider board to cut the sides from. The lounge chair design I am using is easy to adapt to higher sides because the back hinges below the slats.

I use a boat cushion or foam seat pad for another height choice. The curved seat slats really add a lot to long term comfort. If sitting or standing on the chair with the back folded down is important to you, the back support slats could be made straight.

beekeeper

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Yes, oh BeeKeep! I think I've seen these pics before, maybe in the distant past. In fact, looking at them gave me a thought, but I think I've even seen pics of that "thought" before, too! :D

I suppose that riser could also hide some folding legs. Yes, I like that!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Built another seat. Several of my older seats left me so I needed a spare.

After being "road hard and put away wet" the paint on this one was not so nice anymore.

Repainted it to match the new one. I think this color will work better.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
After using my son's pirogue seat and stand in the Ogeechee River Boat I decided he needed something more comfortable. I had to blend the designs to make the new seat to fit his boat. The proto seat back hinges on the outside of the seat. This was too wide so I hinged it like the original seat.
New seat:

Next to original:

In the boat:

He said it was more comfortable and esier to load because it is one piece.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
We find the deeper seat with a little slope to the back puts less preasure on the back of the legs at the taller seat height. The curved seat slats are really comfortable and they are the biggest improvement. I usually sit on a foam pad for the extra height, but the seat might actually be more comfortable sitting on the bare slats. Switching between the two positions helps.
I have to say my seats have evovled to fit my needs. Chucks design, the U.J. seat was probably develope with different criteria. It offers a lower center of gravity, can be used as seat with the back folded, easier to build, and has a set of plans.

bee

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
What brought it about was after I did a days fishing with a very uncomfortable seat in one of my Pirogues. After a few hours I just could not get comfortable , no matter what I tried. Nothing better then a uncomfortable rear end to force a person to find something more comfortable.
I designed the seat to be used in a Pirogue and to maintain a low center of gravity. You can use it with the backrest up to support the back for some layed back paddling or fishing. If you needed just a little more height then fold it down and sit on it for that extra height. It is helpful when fishing and you need to be just a little higher. When fishing I like to sit and use a fly rod and sometimes you just need a little more height but not a lot. I like to keep my silhouette as low as I can.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Made another seat. I could not decide what color to paint it so I clear coated it. Not best wood but I can paint over it when I decide what boat it will be used in.
IMG_4547.JPG
IMG_4545.JPG
IMG_4540.JPG