Paint | SouthernPaddler.com

Paint

jpsaxnc

Jan 28, 2012
I know it's been discussed, but I have seen mention of the epoxy garage floor paint at Lowe's. It come in around 15 colors, they order the color you want, about $30. a gal.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I have used the 2 part epoxy garage floor paint on two boats now, and I like it. Very durable and smooth. I would also like to know how the one part epoxy compares. The two part kit starts at about $70.00 per gal., but only used one quart for the outside (sides & floor).

beekeeper

jpsaxnc

Jan 28, 2012
The Lowe's "Epoxy-Seal" is a one part paint. I haven't tried yet, still have to do the glass, but they had a painted sample that I scratch tested with my pocket knife, it was definitely more durable against scratching than ordinary acrylic paint.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
I bought a "one pack epoxy paint". Knew it could not be real epoxy. Thought they were just calling it that to let me know that their paint was really tough. They were wrong and I was suckered. To be fair it did harden up months later to some degree, by which time the paint had scuffed quite badly. Still not as tough as I'd expected/hoped for.
On a previous boat I had used a fair quality marine polyeurathane paint with far better results than the "epoxy paint".
Ah well I shoulda knowed better. The sample you scraped at coulda been a year or more old mebbe.
The two part garage paint is an excellent idea. Need some to do my garage with as the floor is covered in spilt/dripped epoxy, but would be great on a boat I reckon. Would make great camo for hiding boats in the garage your wife didn't know you'd built :mrgreen:
Cheers John