Paddle QUESTION... | SouthernPaddler.com

Paddle QUESTION...

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
On a greenland style paddle I have no idea but a lot depends on what type of boat and paddling you are doing. Are you asking specifically about a double blade paddle? A good kayak shop will be able to point you in the right direction and have several on hand to maybe try out. Your height and physical size has a lot to do with selection also. It's hard to recommend a size without a lot of specifics. Sorry if this isn't much help but hopefully you will post some more specifics and someone will have a recommendation.....

WDfrmTN

buckisland1950 said:
On a greenland style paddle I have no idea but a lot depends on what type of boat and paddling you are doing. Are you asking specifically about a double blade paddle? A good kayak shop will be able to point you in the right direction and have several on hand to maybe try out. Your height and physical size has a lot to do with selection also. It's hard to recommend a size without a lot of specifics. Sorry if this isn't much help but hopefully you will post some more specifics and someone will have a recommendation.....
Okay, thanks.
More specifics:
UJ pirogue, I'm 6'1", son is a little less than 5' (but steady growing). No racy stuff, & nothing fancy...I'm gonna make the paddles.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Here's a stupid suggestion from a guy who can't make a scarf joint. Try making the paddle in two pieces. Make the handles (loom) too long. tape them together, overlapping the ends. Paddle with this, adjust the tape (pretty high tech stuff - write if you need help) until it suits you. Cut the shafts a bit long and make a scarf joint.

I word of advice here. When complete and done, you will like the handles much better if they are not round, but oval shaped. They should be longer pointing fore and aft so as to fit comfortably into your thumb and fingers. Easier, maybe, if you start with it round, and use a plane and sander to flatten it a bit, try it, flatten some more, etc.

If you haven't paddled with a double ender, here is some more advice. (Worth every penny I'm charging you, too.) Most strokes will be made holding the paddle symmetrically, with the same length sticking out to the left as to the right. When a bait veers or needs a nudge in a direction, slide the paddle to one side and hole it asymmetrically. You can even cup a hand around the very end of a blade and hole the other had wherever it is comfortable, with a LOT of paddle out to one side. Also, learn to do both the bow rudder and a stern rudder strokes. Invaluable in tight turns, going into eddies, landing along side a bank or dock, and impressing hot chicks.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I bought a cheap take-apart double paddle. It was too short for the two skiffs I tried it in. I made a wood dowell and inserted it into the middle. This made the overall lenghth 10'. It worked ok in the skiffs, but was too long for my pirogue, so I shortened it to 9'. It works great. My boat has a 36" beam, 11" sides, and my seat is 12.25" high. I will build a better one when I am sure if this lenghth is best for me. The double paddle was designed for kayaks and I'm not sure the "normal" lenghths are best for pirogues. The longer paddle doesn't drip on you or the boat.

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Long pieces of bamboo (from rolls of carpet?) with slots cut into the end, and plywood glued in will get you out of the wilderness. (If, whilst in the wilderness, you can find some bamboo, glue, a saw, and plywood. Otherwise, call a taxi.)

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
I word of advice here. When complete and done, you will like the handles much better if they are not round, but oval shaped. They should be longer pointing fore and aft so as to fit comfortably into your thumb and fingers. Easier, maybe, if you start with it round, and use a plane and sander to flatten it a bit, try it, flatten some more, etc.

Anybody made one like this? Pictures, please. :)

Thanks
beekeeper

Chuck here , I cleaned up your quote from Jack so it showed as a quote from him and left your question to avoid any confusion. :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
beekeeper said:
Kayak Jack said:
A word of advice here. When complete and done, you will like the handles much better if they are not round, but oval shaped.
HersheyBarKeeper, go to http://www.theperfectpaddle.com/Perfect ... Sizing.php , scroll down about half way to a picture of a hand captioned "Loom Width and Thickness:". This demonstrates the needed oval shape very well.

dawallace45

I'm a big fan of Greenland style paddles , because of a shoulder injury they are easier for me to paddle , the only down side with them is they are wet , I have paddles in several lengths , all between 7' and 8' , which one I use generally depends on how wide the boat I'm paddling but I find my self using the 8' paddle more and more for every thing , I'm 6'2" and about 218 lb , I think from the charts I should be using a paddle about 7'9" or so but find that the 8' a little better with the wider boats I normally paddle , the paddle build directions at Yorstwerks http://yostwerks.com/GPIntro.html are pretty good , I modify them a bit , I make mine out of pine studs and do very little hand work , I mark them out , cut them out on the bandsaw , smooth them down on the 6" wide linisher then round them off for the most part with the router bench , about three minutes with the rasp another five minutes with the random orbital sander , 10 minutes hand sanding and it's finished , last one took about 30 minutes

David

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
beekeeper said:
Kayak Jack said:
A word of advice here. When complete and done, you will like the handles much better if they are not round, but oval shaped.
HersheyBarKeeper, go to http://www.theperfectpaddle.com/Perfect ... Sizing.php , scroll down about half way to a picture of a hand captioned "Loom Width and Thickness:". This demonstrates the needed oval shape very well.
Thanks for the link. About three pararaphs down he explains these fittings are for average size people in kayaks 22" or less wide. Siting high in my wide pirogue and skiffs i am enjoying my 9' paddle. I wonder how many other paddlers would benifit from a longer paddle. Don't know anything about kayaks, but it may work there also. I bet no one has tried it.
I do want a better paddle.

beekeeper

dawallace45

I've always thought that if I were shorter I'd need a longer paddle in my Laker but as I'm more the large economy size the 8 ft one suits me fine , actually I think for my size and weight I really need a kayak about 29 to 30" wide for more stability while fishing but think the 8 ft paddle would still be fine for that at my height

Actually I hate to admit it but I'm thinking seriously of selling some of my gear and buying a Hobie outback that is 33" wide , that is mainly because the bloody left shoulder is stopping me from paddling for months at a time and the Mirage drive may be the answer for that

David

WDfrmTN

Okay, following the "sit on the floor and measure up to the eye-level" method for the shaft, we came up with 34" for my son and 44" for me...added a 'fudge factor' then added the blades.
Began on two 'primitive' style paddles...I'll try to get some pics up soon.