Old Tools | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Old Tools

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
beekeeper said:
IMG_0112.jpg

What are these? They belonged to my grand father. He was a carpenter.
I know what the bottom left one is, and actually used it once. Never needed it since, and that was 32 years ago (I was 2). The top left one appears to fit a hand brace. I have no clue about the one on the right. It could be a nail or screw extractor.

beekeeper

I have had a very educated guess about the tool on the right. My Grandpa helped build the old Mississippi River bridge in Baton rouge, La. and worked at the Sharp Road Storage Site during WW2. As a carpenter he probably built a lot of forms for concrete walls, pillars, etc. The tool could have been used to tighten the rod and plates used to hold the wooden sides of the forms together. A steel rod was passed through the form. The plate or washer with a set screw was placed next to one side, against the board. On the other side a plate would slide over the rod and positioned against the board on that side. The tool would then go onto the rod and placed against that plate. The cam end would be facing outward. The threaded end would be screwed in as far as possible, and after the cam was locked onto the rod the threaded end would be run out ( unscrewed) to push the plate against the form and the set screw locked it into place. This kept the form from opening from the weight of the concrete.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Communication tool, used by swamp hunters befor walke-talke's or cell phones. I belive the code was; 1 long blow was a kill, 2 short ones = a miss or look up the deer is comeing your way, 3 longs = come to me, 4 blows = hunt over with.

Picture050.jpg

Picture049.jpg

beekeeper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
beekeeper said:
beekeeper said:
IMG_0112.jpg

What are these? They belonged to my grand father. He was a carpenter.
I know what the bottom left one is, and actually used it once. Never needed it since, and that was 32 years ago (I was 2). The top left one appears to fit a hand brace. I have no clue about the one on the right. It could be a nail or screw extractor.

beekeeper

I have had a very educated guess about the tool on the right. My Grandpa helped build the old Mississippi River bridge in Baton rouge, La. and worked at the Sharp Road Storage Site during WW2. As a carpenter he probably built a lot of forms for concrete walls, pillars, etc. The tool could have been used to tighten the rod and plates used to hold the wooden sides of the forms together. A steel rod was passed through the form. The plate or washer with a set screw was placed next to one side, against the board. On the other side a plate would slide over the rod and positioned against the board on that side. The tool would then go onto the rod and placed against that plate. The cam end would be facing outward. The threaded end would be screwed in as far as possible, and after the cam was locked onto the rod the threaded end would be run out ( unscrewed) to push the plate against the form and the set screw locked it into place. This kept the form from opening from the weight of the concrete.

beekeeper

The top tool is a bit extension to let y0u drill a deeper hole. My Dad had one.

Bob

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Bob
You are correct. I figured it out when I discovered the bits for it. The bottom tube is a nail set for corner and other hard to reach areas. They were my Grandfather's.

The blowing horn (pictured above your post) was my Dad's. It was also used to call the dogs after the hunt.

beekeeper