Not an Uncle John Pirogue Seat | SouthernPaddler.com

Not an Uncle John Pirogue Seat

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

These are the reason my Uncle John seat is not built. My wife's sister-in-law wanted two rocking chairs for her grand-daughters. I don't have a proper seat for my boat, but that's ok. I'm pathetic when it comes to grandchildren.

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
You have two endearing qualities for being on this forum - Grandfatherliness and wood working skills. You get an "Atta boy".

Maybe, you could shorten up and widen out one of those chairs - for you in the boat. Rocking whilst fishing shouldn't be all that bad? And, in camp, a rocking chair would be just dandy.

Best keep your eye on it, or Chuck will try to mount a toilet seat and a sail on one.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack
Thanks for the "Atta Boy". I don't know about your idea of a using one as a boat seat. My boat rocks enough with me in it as it is.

seedtick
WOW! What a compliment to have them labeled handmade. Thank you.
I winged it. That was probably the biggest reason it took me so long. I'm too big to fly very well. I had built some "similar" straight chairs. Found out "similar" may not be the best adjective to use when planing a project. Built a proto (pattern) out of pine first. Found out a pattern needs to be accurate and complete. The legs and back support post are squared faced but turned round on the two other sides. I thought (always dangerous) I would cut the face sides on a 6 degree angle and not have to bore the holes for the cross members on an angle. After cutting out, boring, and routing 16 pieces (enough for four chairs) I discovered the holes became off center when I tuned the other sides. Scrap those and pretend we're really having fun now. Have you and Keith ever scraped any of that beautiful cypress.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
seedtick
When I asked about making scrap wood, I knew experienced wood workers don't scrap they just down size their wood for smaller projects or parts. Some days all I make is smaller stock. Wonder if there is an easier way?

Kayak Jack
Before I tell where I live, explain "interesting fellow". This computer business is kind of new to me. Somebody said be careful words on the computer don't always mean what they say. ( can somebody tell me how to put one of those stupid smilies here)
I live in a most unique place. I will give you some information. Someone may know already. It is a nation, within a state of a county that's not a county, within a state.

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
BeeKeepr,

I've had the privilege of driving to visit, paddle, and camp with some of the guys on the forum. Your rocking chairs and, as I said, your Grandfatherliness, are interesting. My Granddaughter was a central point in my Life for three years; now she's back with her Dad and Mom.

I'm in central, lower Michigan, East Lansing (home of the Spartans). I've traveled to Texas & paddled with Ronnie Smith, Louisiana and paddled with Joey Dupre', Jules Lambert, Keith Felder, and Keith Davis, and to Florida to paddle with Chuck Littleton, Jimmie Dorazio, Harry McDonald, and Bill Logan. (Few to none of them qualify as sane.) I've been on a lot of trips around Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Canada too, but those are some with forum members.

Just wondering, that's all. Not interested in address or phone number, not a stalker.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack
I wrote that this computer business was new to me. Have not been posting but a short time and already need to apologize. My wife usually keeps my attempts to be humorous in check. I was not seriously implying your were a stalker. Hope you were not offended. You and everyone on this site has been so kind and friendly I felt comfortable with my attempt of tongue in cheek humor. I tried to put a smiley face with my remarks but couldn't. Probably just have to get the wife to watch me closer.

Wannabe thinks he knows where I'm from, but want commit yet. If no one knows or guesses soon I will give a hint.

beekeeper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Sorry beekeper,
I thought you wanted Jack to guess. :wink: It's one of the Indian Nations, just don't know which one. Let someone else guess the state. But if they don' know, thats Ok too. :D :wink:
Bob (awaiting the answer with abated breath)

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Most likely he is within a short distance of Shreveport, LA. A bit southeast I would guess.

He went to Lake Bistineau for a short fishing trip and it is my belief that he would not have driven very far for a "short trip"

Louisiana is divided into 64 parishes (the equivalent of counties in most other states). The term "parish" is unique to Louisiana and is due to its French/Spanish heritage; the original boundaries of the civilian county governments were coterminuous with the local Roman Catholic parishes.

FEDERALLY RECOGNIZED NATIONS

COUSHATTA (Port Allen Parish) CHITIMACHA (St. Mary Parish)
TUNICA-BILOXI (Avoyelles Parish) JENA BAND OF CHOCTAW (LaSalle Parish)

STATE RECOGNIZED NATIONS

ADAI CADDO (Natchitoches Parsh) CHOCTAW-APACHE OF EBARB (Sabine Parish)
CLIFTON CHOCTAW (Rapides Parish) FOUR WINDS CHEROKEE (Vernon Parish)
(4 Winds is actually a Confederation, not a Nation)
UNITED HOUMAS (Lafourche Parish)

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Wannabe said:
Sorry beekeper,
I thought you wanted Jack to guess. :wink: It's one of the Indian Nations, just don't know which one. Let someone else guess the state. But if they don' know, that's OK too. :D :wink:
Bob (awaiting the answer with abated breath)

I now don't know what I meant. I guess because anyone could read it I thought I was asking everybody. My wife is right I don't know what I'm doing. Sure need to know how to post one of those stupid laughing faces before I wright much more. I have wore my two pointer fingers down just explaining myself.

It is not an Indian nation at this time that I know of. The nation will probably be the hardest part to figure. I do live in the U.S.A. That is not the nation I meant.

Could this question be moved to the General forum. Either way if nobody wants to guess I will tell soon.

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Beekeeper...

If I move it the whole thing has to be moved and in the General section things do vanish after a while. To keep the chairs on here , this is a safe section for that.

As far as the smiles ... you will hate this .... Just mark where you want it in your post ( the little flashing line that shows where the letters are going to be as you type them ) and then move over with the mouse and click on the one you want. :lol: In fact when the mouse is on the one you want it will say happy , sad , confused or what ever one it is on.

Chuck.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
:eek: It worked for me! :oops: It was too simple.

oldsparky
Not moving it is ok with me. I didn't know if the riddle part needed to stay here. Thanks for the help with the face posting.

Wannabe
Never been in the moves. Didn't really intend to do a riddle here. Hope no one minds.

Bald Cypress
Sorry I missed your reply, till now. I peck these keys so slow you posted yours while I was writing mine and I didn't see it.
You have solved part of the question. I live in Louisiana. The parish Is southeast of Lake Bistineau, but it is a state also(first clue). Seedtick or Keith should know this part (second clue). It is not an Indian nation. I may be member of the redneck tribe, :) but that don't count, because we are every where. The nation part will be the hardest. It is old locale designation.

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm an old local or is that locale :lol: , just not the Louisiana part , a shade further south on that sand bar sticking out in the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean. So I haven't the foggiest clue or idea , which is most of the time about anything and most things. Don't believe me .... Just ask anyone. :p

Chuck.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Well I gots ta drop it. All I can find are articles on the "Sabine Free State" 1806-1862.
and it is now a part of Louisiana and not a "Free State"

I will howevwe pick Floreen, LA. as a final answer. If that is not correct,

I await with bated breath the real final answer.

I also await an invitation for a fishing trip. Canoes are at the ready, fishing poles are in good shape. Better than me, thats for sure. But, I can still get about. May need a couple of cool pops ta keep me going.