Not an Uncle John Pirogue Seat | Page 7 | SouthernPaddler.com

Not an Uncle John Pirogue Seat

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Broke the handle out of my Dad's hammer. I bought a new handle but it had to be fitted to the head. Seems new handles never fit older tools. Sanded the cheap shinny factory finish and rubbed in several coats of oil. Probably not worth all the effort $ wise, but the tool makes me think of him when I use it.
IMG_4750.JPG

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
That looks functionally beautiful, JD. I'm a fan of hickoy, oak, and ash.

I read somewhere - I don't dream these things - that some new handles have a shiny coat of varnish on them. It makes them look new and shiny in the store, and slippery in your hand. The article suggested to scrape off that coating with the edge of a broken piece of window pane. It didn't suggest a source of that widow pane; I had to figure that out for myself.

Boy! That neighbor was cranky!

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
We had a neighbor like that. My Dad made me pay for the glass AND took my sling shot away for a week!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
One day when I was about 4 or 5. i was chunking rocks at a row of glass bottles. Dad watched, and tben told me that when I broke glass, I had to pick it up.

"Sure, Dad" I said as I picked up the three or four largest pieces, and turned towards the junk barrel.

"No, ALL of them."

Well, now didn't THAT just take all of the fun right out of it!

Last edited:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Hard to work on the pirogue with the rain and cold. Rescued some old tools. Cleaned, sanded, and oiled two picks and the awl. Made new hickory handles and sharpened two old chisels. The wide one was my Grandfathers so I'm glade to put it back in service.
IMG_4761.JPG

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
One day when I was about 4 or 5. i was chunking rocks at a row of glass bottles.......

"Chunking rocks."

My late wife just couldn't stand it when I used the word "chunk". Like in chunking rocks, or chunking cow pies. She said it wasn't a word and I forgave her by thinking Yankees just didn't know proper words.

Thanks Jack, I feel validated!

Mike

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Watch out, Mikey - I may chunk a rock in your direction. ;-)

It may be a sprout from the term “chuck”? As in chucking rocks. A good thrower throws his rocks. Throw: as in at or near maximum velocity. When chunking or chucking, that is only a bit above the velocity produced by a mere toss. So, to rate them:
Toss = I’m getting rid of the rock, against my will, and it’s going out there just far enough to not fall on my foot.
Chunking or chucking = it’s too hot to really get serious about this
Throw = (May require a wind-up maneuver.) I’m serious about this! Stand back and give me room!

in the meantime -where’s the WABbit???!!!

Gamecock

Jul 17, 2012
"Chunking rocks."

My late wife just couldn't stand it when I used the word "chunk". Like in chunking rocks, or chunking cow pies. She said it wasn't a word and I forgave her by thinking Yankees just didn't know proper words.

Thanks Jack, I feel validated!

Mike
When I was a kid back in Delaware,"when it was still a great place to live", we use to chunk dirt clods all the time at each other and other things. Got whipped for it too sometimes. Dave.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Copied our 5' porch swing for a pattern, then reduced it to 4' for a Christmas present.
Wood is growback cypress but I think it looks good.
IMG_4985.JPG

Reactions: Gamecock

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I was honored to make this for a young couple's wedding. The "cord of three strands ceremony" symbolizes the joining of one man, one woman, and God into a marriage relationship. "A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
IMG_5097.JPG

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Another fun project. My son and I built these corn hole boxes. A simple game that has become very popular, and can be very serious by some players. Fun to play and fun to build.
IMG_5216.JPG
IMG_5215.JPG
IMG_5212.JPG

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
A patio end table for my daughter's porch. Wood is treated deck boards so it should should last a few years.
IMG_5250.JPG