New wallyworld paddle | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

New wallyworld paddle

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Put the finishing touches on the paddle tonight. First did some clean up sanding of the fiberglass resin and got things nice and smooth.

fiberglasssandedforvarnish.jpg

The finished handle.

paddlevarnish.jpg

paddlevarnish2.jpg

Cant wait to give it a good work out this weekend trying to find some spotted trout, redfish or whiting.

islandpiper

Having built what (i think) was the original WW paddle here on the site, i've enjoyed reading about this one. I have more miles on mine now than i did a year ago. Still like it. I do wish, however, that it weighed just about half as much as it does. I like the length lots more than i do the shorter, (lighter) ones. Jdupre's paddle is LIGHT and that's nice, but mine is 2-3 feet longer. I wish there was a cheap,fast and easy way to accomplish that.

piper

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
I do like the length of the paddle as well. So far it doesnt seem too heavy, but I havent done any all day paddles as of yet.

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
Got out this morning to give my paddle a indepth trial. Was on the water by 6:00am and off around 12:30pm. Paddle got me where i was going and where i needed to be!! Now if that would only be where the fish were at because it wasnt a good fishing day for me. Only a couple of small croaker and rays. It is amazing how quick you can get up to speed and cover some distance with this little boat and inexpensive paddle. I cant wait to get on a school of trout or redfish or a small shark down here. The paddle felt good in my hands and so far no blisters. With all the oyster rakes around here I can see it getting scratched up pretty good but I think it will last long enough until I can make me another one.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
savannahkelly said:
I do like the length of the paddle as well. So far it doesnt seem too heavy, but I havent done any all day paddles as of yet.

How long did your paddle end up? And how tall are you?

GBinGA

savannahkelly

Dec 7, 2008
I am around 5' 10" and I wound up paddling off and on for 6 hours. Here is a picture of my paddle off the boat ramp just before you get to Skidaway Island here in Savannah.

skidaway%20boat%20ramp.jpg

I got there at low tide and just followed the edge of the water around the point in the upper left corner. Once the tide started back in I turned around and explored some of the cuts and found where the oyster rakes are located so now I can pinpoint where to fish once the water clears up.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
gbinga said:
...How long did your paddle end up? And how tall are you?
George - I hope you're not trying to generate ratio between paddler's height and paddle length? There is no such relationship. Seating height above water, width of boat, tend to relate a bit. Paddling style relates maybe about 80-90%.

Some paddlers hold the paddle nearly level throughout the entire cycle of a forward stroke on both sides of the boat. Some swing it through, maybe, a 45 degree arc, rocking it both left and right for a total of 90 degrees of arc. And, some will hold it nearly vertical on both sides, like a canoe paddle, swinging it through nearly a 180 degrees of arc from left to right, and again from right to left.

Those that hold the paddle vertical will want a shorter paddle. Those that hold it level can use either a short or long paddle. Paddler's height has no bearing on the choice of length. You may want to borrow a few paddles and try them for yourself before you choose.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Jack,

I see your points. There seems to be no absolute answer. That being the case, I'm getting all the data points I can so I can take some sort of stab at a length to try first.

I can build a paddle. Built oars before, and they came out pretty well. I don't want to go to the trouble of building a double ended paddle (a decent one) without a least a chance of getting the length right.

I'm starting to lean toward fabricating a really "quick and dirty" paddle, like a closet rod and a couple of pieces of cheap plywood. Set it up where I can break it down and change the length a few times, try to learn something.

George

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
George, try cutting the blades and rod (with grooves) so you first have a paddle 260 cm long overall. Then cut the rod down and regroove the cut end to be 240 cm overall length. Finally, cut it for 220 cm. See what you like best. Then build a good paddle like that.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend George,

That plan mite tell ya the best length, but it iz better if ya kin try some paddles. I bet they got a place somewhere close by that rents boats 'n paddles? Some outfitters will let ya try out the gear they sell. The Georgia Canoe Club iz big 'n I got a dollar sez they have get togethers where ya kin try out some paddles. There iz a Hot Lanta Whitewater club 'er two.

That way ya mite even git ta try out feathered paddles.....so ya kin decide based on doin', not talkin'. [grin] I have a couple a Perceptions that adjust the feather.....be glad ta loan it ta ya fer awhile, but I aint headed that way anytime soon. Mebbe Jimmy W iz comin' this way ta see hiz Dad? Mebbe the High Sheriff iz drivin' this way? [If he iz, he kin pick it up 'n ya oughta have it in early 2010.] lol

regards
bearridge

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.  Thomas Jefferson

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Kayak Jack said:
George, try cutting the blades and rod (with grooves) so you first have a paddle 260 cm long overall. Then cut the rod down and regroove the cut end to be 240 cm overall length. Finally, cut it for 220 cm. See what you like best. Then build a good paddle like that.

That sounds reasonable. I can knock something together that will get the job done. It'll be ugly as sin, but that doesn't really matter as long as I get the info I need.

George

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Friend George,

. Mebbe Jimmy W iz comin' this way ta see hiz Dad? Mebbe the High Sheriff iz drivin' this way? [If he iz, he kin pick it up 'n ya oughta have it in early 2010.] lol

regards
bearridge

Bear...

Ya must think I am a fast driver to have it there by the early part of 2010 , that's only 6 months away. From here to Mississippi and then back over to Georgia. The way I get side tracked it would not be till sometime in the fall of 2010. :lol:

Chuck.