New to the site building a new pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

New to the site building a new pirogue

kokomoslow

May 1, 2012
The boat I'm building is 13' 6" At the mid ship it's 24" on the bottom and 33 1/2" at the top This seems to have produced quit a rocker By the way Hi everyone this looks to be a very fun and informative site Any and all help would be nice as I have done this with no plans just pictures.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Welcome KS,
If you want to know about small boat building you are at the right place. How far along are you on your boat. Everyone on here can read (I think :roll: ) but we love pictures. Do you have any pictures of your boat that you could post on here?
Come on in and enjoy.
Bob

kokomoslow

May 1, 2012
Here are some pic's to show rocker Is it way too much or can I get by??? well I tryed and it said that the boardQuota had be riched Help

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
cutting an arc out of the bottom of the side boards will reduce the rocker

the more of an arc that you cut out, the more that rocker will be reduced

kokomoslow

May 1, 2012
Thanks for the replys and info. I'm going with it the way it is. I will see how it goes and make adjustments on the next one. Up loaded my pic's to that site but didn't work out how to get them on this site. Thanks ks

kokomoslow

May 1, 2012
Does any one have anything to say about graphite power for the bottom ?? Down to final sand. Ordered glass and epoxy. Fitting small decks for the ends. Already thinking about the next one. Being a finish carpenter for 35 yr. it went fast and farely tight and looking not bad for no plans . Any ideas on seat . How high from bottom? I have 12" sides. Ks

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm sort of partial to the seat that Uncle John has on his web site , not because I designed it but because it is comfortable and the right height for a Pirogue.

Before I put graphite on the bottom of my boat it was plain glass and would stick to the weeds , which made paddling threw them a lot harder. After putting the graphite on the bottom it slid threw the weeds. As a neighbor of mine , when he tried it in the weeds all he could say was that I had developed a 4 wheel drive boat. It just went threw the weeds like they were not there compared to a plain bottomed boat.
The guys that paddle where rocks are have told me that without the graphite they tear up the bottom of there boat and with the graphite all they get are some scratches to the graphite. It does offer extra protection since it is a lubricant and tends to slide over things where a plain bottomed boat would get worse damage.

kokomoslow

May 1, 2012
Just ordered the plans for the seat, I would like to build it as lite as possable. Any ideas?? Sill waiting for glass. Thanks for the input

kokomoslow

May 1, 2012
I have a question. I just put a coat of epoxy on as a penetrating coat,I mixed it two to one as I was to do and I thinned it with acetone to a water like consistancy. How long should it be before it gets hard?????

kokomoslow

May 1, 2012
Thanks I'm just used to doing fiberglass with a chopper gun making shower stalls and truck campers. That stuff kicks off in about two hrs. i thought I had mixed it wrong. But I checked it this morning and it had set up. Thanks for the input I'm sure these questions get asked all the time

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
kokomoslow said:
Thanks I'm just used to doing fiberglass with a chopper gun making shower stalls and truck campers. That stuff kicks off in about two hrs. i thought I had mixed it wrong. But I checked it this morning and it had set up. Thanks for the input I'm sure these questions get asked all the time

Usually there is a lot more ... "PANIC" ... when they are asked. :lol: