New Pocket knife | SouthernPaddler.com

New Pocket knife

dawallace45

Now I like a good knife , for me a knife doesn't have to be pretty to be a good knife , it just has to be able to do it's job well , if I want a fixed blade knife then I can make one easily enough but I can't make a good folder , over the years I've had a lot of different pocket knifes and for me the problem is I really don't like stainless steel , even the cheap pocket knifes these days seem to be made of a really hard grade of stainless , sure they hold their edge good for some time but once they are blunt they are hard to sharpen well , carbon steel holds a edge well but it easy to resharpen , yesterday I bought a French knife called a Opinel No.10

http://www.opinel-usa.com/

These are a very plain looking knife , I'd call them elegant ugly , but they come with a carbon steel blade , I've been playing around with mine and testing it out all morning and I love it , so if your after a knife that is nice and simple and robust and will do the job and you like carbon steel give one a go

David

I am a huge fan of opinel knives. I had the pleasuere of visiting the factory when I was stationed in Germany. I think it was in St Bernard. What an amazing sight. Each knife is ground and sharpened by hand over a massive water wheel that the worker lays down over top of. An amazing sight to see. I don't think I paid more than $10 for any of the half dozen I bought there.
Anyway.... these knives are incredibly cheap but last forever. They hold an edge like nothing I have ever seen. I have one that I sharpen at exacto knife angles and it keeps its edge forever. The locking collar is crude but effective and the handle has held up for almost 20 years.
Nice thing about high carbon steel is the blackish patina, makes sharpening by hand a breeze as you can see the newly sharpened edge, it stands out against the rest of the blade.
I always recommend these knives when I talk to someone looking for a good utility type knife. Not one has been dissappointed

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I have one of those. Bought it at a shop at Yellowstone. Cheap, simple, and it works. Gotta love that.

The French do a lot of things well. I have several old Mitchell fishing reels and at least three knives that were made in France. Good stuff.

George

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Diffrent strokes for different folks
Here are my knives that are every day carriers and camp knife

IM002595.jpg

The 2 blade buck has dressed a lot of hogs and deer stripped wire ,you name it I have done it with that knife. The new Bowie is one I found to replace one that was stolen ,It is a big knife 8 .75 length blade but lighter than most it will cut legs of off game peel the ribs down chop wood .
I like the steel in these knifes ,they are hard but once you get them sharpened once then just a couple strokes on a steel and a piece of leather they are shaving again.
Ron

dawallace45

My knife needs have changed over the years , I always used to carry a Taylors Eye Witness with the ebony scales and the carbon steel blades , it was razor sharp and I skinned a lot of rabbits with it , also used to carry a skinning knife and if the area made it necessary a machete , [ Jungle or prickly pear ], now I rarely ever need to skin any thing so I tend to carry a bigger folder and a camp knife , mine is a modified Spanish Bolo style bayonet , blade is about 10" and holds a good edge , the stainless steel is a grade that is easy to sharpen

David