new guy here wondering about pirogues in large lakes | SouthernPaddler.com

new guy here wondering about pirogues in large lakes

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Pirogues were made for shallow backwaters for the most part. The flat bottom and low sides do not lend themselves to rogh water. NOW don't get me wrong they have been and will most likely continue to be used on large and somewhat rough water. That don't mean thats what they were designed for tho.

Were it me and I wanted a small boat for a large lake and less than tranquil water, I'd go with a canoe.

YMMV.

Welcome aboard.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Welcome to the nut house.

I agree with Bald Cypress. A pirogue will make it through some pretty impressive water, but it can get mighty hairy. A canoe would be your best option for an open style boat. Obviously, a kayak would be even better, if that fits your style of paddling.

Joey

JEM

I'll chime in an also say a pirogue is not the ideal boat for bigger water. The flat bottom is great for easy building and paddling flat water. But the flat bottom requires more paddling skill/ability to keep stable in waves. The open top and lower sides will allow that stray white-cap to instantly fill the boat.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Well, now that you guys have spilled the beans, my suggestion won't work. I was going to suggest that he take out a large insurance policy with me as beneficiary, and use the flat bottomed boat in whitecaps - a long ways from shore, preferably. sigh

I guess you'd best listen to the other guys, this time.

Strongman332

Jul 7, 2010
Georgetown Kentucky
Kayak Jack said:
Well, now that you guys have spilled the beans, my suggestion won't work. I was going to suggest that he take out a large insurance policy with me as beneficiary, and use the flat bottomed boat in whitecaps - a long ways from shore, preferably. sigh

I guess you'd best listen to the other guys, this time.

i like this idea, but just seams like i get the short end of the stick

any way i found designs for a partially covered canoe that i like.

thanks for all the warning.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Short end? Roger that, Strongman. Natch.

Just my opinion, based on my experiences, that a partially decked canoe is an ultimate solo craft for a fella. (A good sailboat could be another ultimate craft too, I guess.) A decked canoe still loads and unloads easily, can weather heavier waters better than a completely open craft, has a lower wind signature than an open craft, the load is better protected from both weather and hooking passing branches and brush (sad stories follow THAT specific difficulty), and just looks sexier.

BTW, from whence do you hail? What waters do you paddle/plan to paddle? Do you camp, fish, make boats, make knives, build violins, molest small animals?

Strongman332

Jul 7, 2010
Georgetown Kentucky
I also forgot to mention that i love canoing and did it all the time back when i was in scouts. but i could not afford to buy a canoe so i quit. then i found out how to build them, so now i am planing to get back in to it. i also love camping though i feel that the camper has spoiled my whole family. i still think that tent camping is much better than rving

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I must admit to being a bit of an elitist. I taught my granddaughter to view with scorn, folks in trailers and RVs. Under canvas is the right way. Tents and hammocks are what real campers use.

I know, that's haughty thinking. (But, when you're right, it's OK.)

Camping expeditions in canoes are one of my favorite pastimes. I plan to add camping with planes soon.

Strongman332

Jul 7, 2010
Georgetown Kentucky
Kayak Jack said:
I must admit to being a bit of an elitist. I taught my granddaughter to view with scorn, folks in trailers and RVs. Under canvas is the right way. Tents and hammocks are what real campers use.

I know, that's haughty thinking. (But, when you're right, it's OK.)

Camping expeditions in canoes are one of my favorite pastimes. I plan to add camping with planes soon.

i could not agree more. although when i tent camp i do miss the air conditioner.