need ideas for 1st pirough | SouthernPaddler.com

need ideas for 1st pirough

poorboy

May 27, 2012
Hey guys im new to the site. Ive been reading on here for a couple weeks and this site is awesome. I fish alot of small lakes in arkansas. I want to build a pirough that will best fit my crappie fishing spots. I have never even sat in a pirough but cant wait to build one and hit the water. My main question is how wide can i go on the bottom to get the most stability out of it. I dont want to build it but 12 ft so i can put it in the front of my jon boat and hit the river and drag it out to get to my lil pot hole lakes in the woods off of the river. Any suggestions please dont be bashful. THANKS

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Typically a Pirogue is narrower then a Canoe and wider then a Kayak.
I am not sure about the width that you want it but a lot of the guys who wanted one with more stability then the standard Pirogue went with a 4th rib which makes it have two ribs the same width in the middle of the boat. In place of just the single rib being there. That divided the boat into fourths instead of the normal thirds on the placement of the ribs.

As far as the technical advise on how wide you can go , it will take someone beside myself to answer that. My question would be how wide can you go before it is not a Pirogue anymore. Since when making your own boat you can make it anything /anyway you want. It's not a off the shelf boat that you have to purchase the way someone else made it.