My New Toy and Fun Getaway Item. | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

My New Toy and Fun Getaway Item.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My 10 year old granddaughter and I did a seven miler today. Mean kid! I'd bought her a jump rope. She looped it twice around my neck, and threatened to drag hang mr if we didn't stop at Culver's for chocolate icr cteam.

In all fairness, she did let me have some too.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Digging around on the web for Bike Camping there is a lot of different things folks have dreamed up. From the elaborate like this .

images

To the simple camping like I am thinking about.

images

Click on this for a ton of pictures on different ways folks have dreamed up for bike camping.
http://tinyurl.com/ncb89b8

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Julie and I rode to breakfast this morning - 1 egg & 1/2 a bagel apiece. Route was 9 1/2 miles. But when I add in vertical distance (bouncing up and down on bumps-n-such) it could go as much as, say, 9 9/16ths to 9 5/8ths! Dont'cha 'spose? :|

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Got a tire pump for the bike. It is something that those little tires have to have 65 to 70 pounds of air in them.
The tire pump is a upright one with a gauge at the top of it that reads all the way to 130. Set the indicator at 70 and it does not take a whole lot of strokes to hit the 70 psi mark.
They told me at the shop to check the tires weekly and they were right , figure that , :lol: they work on bikes all the time and knew that the tires would drop some pressure over 7 days. Now if there customers , OK , Customer ( as in one person ) would just listen to them. :roll:
The tires were at 50 and back at 70 it does ride a lot easier. It has been two weeks since I checked them.

The reason for the hand pump is that it is a lot simpler to pump the tires up here on the porch then to use the compressor that's buried behind stuff in the shop since compressors do like to get condensation inside them and then you put air and water in your tires. By the time I would get the compressor running I can have the tires pumped up by hand and out on the road.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Last year, I spent (somewhere between) $12-15 for an electronic tire gsuge. The slider ones are wayyyyy off; dials aren't as bad. Once I find out the error factor in a mechanical gauge, then I can compensate.

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
I keep a spare tube and one of the CO2 inflators in the trunk bag. I haven't had to use it "YET". The only downside of the CO2 besides cost,
is that it leaks through the rubber of the tubes. It is for emergencies. When you get home, you still need to fill the tire with air.
Good tires with the kevlar strips are the best insurance.
Dan

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I hadn't heard of those. didn't know it could be controlled that precisely.
A buddy who rides in California touts the self-repairing inner tubes with the green, goopy stuff inside. I have one on the front, waiting for the rear tube to die so it can be replaced. So far, I don't think it has self-repaired itself - or had to - yet.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
At the beginning of this article I said I would be gone for a couple of day's , well I went and have since returned.

Stayed in the little CCC Coups built cabin , vintage 1930"s.

mrg-ccccabin.jpg

Managed to look the area over and check out the trails during my short but pleasant stay.

When I arrived at Keysone Heights and looked over to the direction of the park wouldn't you know it the sky is one of those purple and black shades that indicts a fire hose of water every square foot.
Arriving at the park ( 3:00 PM ) it was just that , one nasty rain. Managed to check in and get 3 miles down to the end of there road to the cabins before the really nasty rain got there. Later I did manage to drive around the park and check things out for the morning when I planned on hiking some of the trails. It's a good thing Jeeps are rain proof. :lol:
Before returning to the cabin it was a 6 mile run into town and the Hardies for a Burger and Onion Rings plus a large Ice Tea to take back to the cabin with me.

The next morning nice and early I was up and hiking on the trails to check out the primitive campsite and saw lots of Coon and Bob Cat prints in the sand as I waled along Gold Head Branch creek, Later I managed to walk up om some deer feeding. By noon I was done and the heat was getting bad so it was back to the cabin and the AC Unit along with a cheese steak sandwich and cold Gator aid. Ist arriving at the cabin it was a change of clothing and a shower plus a tick inspection because I did find one on my right arm when I got out of the woods and back to the Jeep.

Would you believe it but around 1:00 PM it started to rain again but a light rain which made sitting on the porch relaxing. I just goofed off over the afternoon and after supper decided to hit the sack so I could get an early start in the morning for the ride home.

Got up , cleaned the cabin , sweep the floors , put all the dirty linen by the front door and tided up the cabin for whoever does there cleaning and dropped a bag of trash in the dumpster. As far as the cabins being equipped for the camper , they are , all you need to bring are your personal items , toothbrush , soap , deodorant , medications. They furnish all the linens , pots pans , toaster , microwave , stove , plates , glasses , coffee cups the whole shebang of items.

Driving out there was a nice flock of some larger Wild Turkeys crossed the road in front of me , I would guess they would weigh about 15 to 18 pounds dressed out . some NICE ONES. Dropped the hang tag for the mirror and the key to the cabins door at the ranger station and came home.

NO... I did not take the bike since I saw where the National Weather said is would be a 80% for Monday and a 60% for Tuesday on the rain. There were a lot of other folks with Bikes which stayed nice and dry on there porches for most part.

Chuck.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
didn't chuck say he had a new toy (bike) I thought he was doing all that riding? :?: :roll: :lol: here he is in the yellow goat. yea chuck I read down on last line you drove the jeep instead of he bike. I guess you got to have an ace In the hole was in a while. :lol: sounds like you had a good time. how many do they have of he cc camp cabins where you stayed at?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Cabins

Sixteen cabins overlook Little Lake Johnson. Linens and towels are provided at the beginning of your stay. For an extended stay, please bring extra towels. We do not provide beach towels. All cabins include rocking chairs, a picnic table, a ground grill and fully equipped kitchen. Each kitchen includes a refrigerator/freezer, stove and basic cooking and eating utensils. Firewood can be purchased at the ranger station.

Historic Cabins (Cabins 101 - 109) Nine rustic cabins were built in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Each cabin accommodates up to four people. Rustic cabins include one full size bed and one futon that will sleep two people. The cabins have a combined living room/bedroom, a separate bathroom and a separate fully equipped kitchen. Bathrooms are furnished with flush toilets and hot and cold water showers. Two CCC cabins (Numbers 101 and 109) are equipped with standard size bathtubs. If you would like one of these cabins, please specify this when making reservations. Rustic cabins have electric heating and cooling units, ceiling fans and wood burning fireplaces. Firewood collection within the park is prohibited, but you can purchase firewood at the ranger station.

Block Cabins (Cabins 110 - 114)
Five block cabins each accommodate up to six people and include a full size bed, bunk bed and one futon that each sleeps two people. Each has a bedroom, a living room, a bathroom and a fully equipped kitchen. The bathrooms have a standard size bathtub and shower. These cabins have ceiling fans and central heating and cooling, but they do not have fireplaces.

Modern Cabins (Cabins 115 - 116)
Two ADA-accessible cabins can accommodate up to six people. These spacious cabins have a living room, bathroom, two bedrooms, a fully equipped kitchen and a screened porch. Cabins include a full size bed in the master bedroom, two twin beds in the second bedroom and a pull out couch in the living room. These cabins have central heating and cooling, ceiling fans and a gas fireplace available for use between October 1st and April 30th.

For the guest's relaxation, televisions and phones are not provided.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well , since June I have been riding with the seat that came with the bicycle. It's the Body Geometry Comfort Gel with Comfort Core technology seat. Went to the Bike shop and looked threw there selection of saddles ( seats ) and it has been replaced. :D
specialized-comfort-gel.jpg

My rides are 4 1/2 miles each day and expanding so I want a seat that is good to me.

Got a Selle Royal Comfort seat for Cyclists The Selle Royal Look IN Unisex Relaxed model. It is made for relaxed peddling which they consider relaxed when a person like to sit upright at a 90 degree angle.
It has one additional item the other did not have , at the back of the seat there are some shock absorbers to help soften the ride since the bike does not have anything to help smooth the bumps out.

1471607_R_Z001A_UC1603216

Here is what they have to say about this seat..........
The sealed surface of the Look IN Unisex Relaxed is partially transparent, allowing riders to observe how the Royalgel™ padding flexes and reacts, ensuring the reduction of pressure peaks by up to 40%. Distinctive silver scuff guards on the sides prevent scratch damage for added longevity. This model is shaped with extra width at the back to offer the comfort of optimum weight distribution to commuters or leisure riders seated in the Relaxed riding position.

It is a comfortable seat and if I don't like it for any reason within a 120 day time span they will take it back at full refund with no questions asked.

Chuck.

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
That's great Chuck. 4 1/2 miles is a good daily exercise. I try to ride 10-12 miles per day, but the weather here has been so bad, I have been lucky to get 30 miles per week. It's hard to find the best saddle. On some days the one that is on the bike is great and on other days, it will rub you raw. I like a leather saddle, but the past few weeks, I have been getting caught in the rain and when my shorts are wet, the leather doesn't feel good at all.
I hope this is the right saddle for you and it last a long time. I have found that as I got stronger, I changed the way I sat on the bike. This kept me looking and trying saddles for the first year or so.
Dan