My Gator build | SouthernPaddler.com

My Gator build

ilbucksndux

Jun 10, 2012
Well after a few months reading the forum,and deciding on what I wanted to build I finally got started on my boat.

CameraZOOM-20120715163057.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120715173600.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120715182822.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120716104606.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120716121753.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120716122637.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120716122723.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120716171328.jpg

CameraZOOM-20120716171340.jpg

ilbucksndux

Jun 10, 2012
Now I'm back to thinking what I want to do next. I cant decide to glass it inside and out or just glass the outside. I want to keep the weight down so I was leaning toward just glassing the outside, BUT I want it to last me a few years so thinking it would be best to do the inside too. My intentions for even building the boat is to use it when I hunt by myself and not have so much boat to haul around.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Seeing that John Deere tractor makes me think you won't be hunting by yourself for very long......

Mike

ilbucksndux

Jun 10, 2012
Does anyone have any suggestions on whether I should glass it all or just the bottom and epoxy inside ? Looking for advantages and disadvantages for both.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
ilbucksndux said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on whether I should glass it all or just the bottom and epoxy inside ? Looking for advantages and disadvantages for both.

If you are not going to glass the whole boat.........THEN.
I would glass the areas that will get the most wear. That is the bottom and a little ways up the sides where things will rub against the boat.

As far as the inside glass the floor where it will get the wear and tear on it , feet covered with mud or sand that will act like sandpaper against the floor as you move around.

As far as the rest of the boat then epoxy saturate the wood with two coats to seal the wood and protect it against any light scratches before you paint it. It's not as good then glassing it but it is better then just putting paint on it.

Chuck.

jpsaxnc

Jan 28, 2012
Looks great! I'm suprised at how fair you got the sides looking without ribs or other internal support.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
With that large, flat bottom, I would strongly recommend you glass the bottom inside as well as any stuff you put outside. If the boat hangs up on anything, that bottom will buckle in easily. If it isn't glassed, your wood will split quite a lot easier. Like many things in our nether regions, it's easier to prevent than to cure.

ilbucksndux

Jun 10, 2012
Kayak Jack said:
With that large, flat bottom, I would strongly recommend you glass the bottom inside as well as any stuff you put outside. If the boat hangs up on anything, that bottom will buckle in easily. If it isn't glassed, your wood will split quite a lot easier. Like many things in our nether regions, it's easier to prevent than to cure.

Even though the bottom is made from 1/2" you think it has the possibility to buckle ?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
ilbucksndux said:
Kayak Jack said:
Even though the bottom is made from 1/2" you think it has the possibility to buckle ?
Well, I never would have used 1/2" wood. Use it without glass, I guess.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
1/2" seems like overkill in my experience. But, I don't have a boat with a large, flat bottom. May be nice there. I use thinner wood, solid (BS-1088), and then glass both sides. Just different, that's all.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Even though the bottom is made from 1/2" you think it has the possibility to buckle ?[/

Anything is possable, but with the fiberglass and keel strips you added you have probablly built a "tank" in the world of paddle boats. My "Crock" model, a wider and longer verson of your boat, was built to the designer's plans with 3/8" floor and 1/4" sides, and it is rated for outboard power.

beekeeper

ilbucksndux

Jun 10, 2012
Yes I have been worried about that. I have two reasons I went with 1/2" on the bottom . One I couldnt find any "good" 3/8" BC plywood and two one of the places I plan on using this boat has some nasty . . . well I dont know what to call it than some kinda swamp bush that is hell on fiberglass canoes and those "plastic" kyaks .

I was back and fouth on the keel strips. I had a LOT of suggestion that I should add them.

The way I figure it if this one turns out to heavy I can always build another right ?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
ilbucksndux said:
Yes I have been worried about that. I have two reasons I went with 1/2" on the bottom . One I couldnt find any "good" 3/8" BC plywood and two one of the places I plan on using this boat has some nasty . . . well I dont know what to call it than some kinda swamp bush that is hell on fiberglass canoes and those "plastic" kyaks .

I was back and fouth on the keel strips. I had a LOT of suggestion that I should add them.

The way I figure it if this one turns out to heavy I can always build another right ?

Too heavy? Depends on how much you have to lift, carry or drag, etc. and your strength. Weight generly = strong. You have probably built a "tank" in the world of paddle boats.
The fiberglass will help protect the wood from abrasion ("swamp bush"). If it is bad on plastic and fiberglass boats it will probably be bad on your's also.
I have found keel strips make the floor stiffer, and offers protection when riding in the truck, or when moved over flat surfaces. Little protection from random objects, or with tracking issues. A fair and smooth bottom and sides seems to reduce scuffing more.
You have built a nice boat. Use it for a while and learn what it does and don't do well for you. You may find it does all you want, or need it to. If not you will know better what you do need/want. You will like it because you built it.

beekeeper

ilbucksndux

Jun 10, 2012
Kayak Jack said:
Or, a guy could always buy an aluminum boat. Those things can withstand almost anything, except good taste and intelligence.

:oops: I have an entire fleet of aluminum boats already,thats why I have a wood one now !