Mud motor on a bayou skiff? | SouthernPaddler.com

Mud motor on a bayou skiff?

hillbillybushwacker

Mar 27, 2010
Hey yall,
I'm new to the forum. I've been wanting to build a little boat for quite some time. I want something I can duck hunt out of. It would be with me and my 70lb weim. (Yes she makes a good duck dog) I also wanted something that had a transom I could put a small mud motor on. I was thinking about a scavenger 5.5hp. Would this be possible on Uncle John's bayou skiff? Does anybody have an outboard on their skiff? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ashley Wayne Bennett

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I haven't put a motor on mine , yet. I have been looking at the little 2.5 H.P. Suzuki. Some of the guys with boats similar to the skiff have been using trolling motors. I don't know of anyone who has put a gas motor on one since the skiff is relative new on the market. Uncle John might know if anyone has.

From the "What it's Worth Dept" or just some of my thoughts.
If you would make a skiff I would suggest the 3/8ths wood for the bottom since you would be running it in some shallow areas with a motor. Plus I would beef up the transom a little with an brace to handle a motor. It is my understanding it will take a 5 H.P. motor. Another thought is the Mud Motor is above the transom and more or less pushing against the top of it unlike a standard motor which has more push against the lower part of the transom.

Chuck.....

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
hillbillybushwaker,

If you want to build a boat that can utilize a surface drive motor, might I suggest you look at the duck hunter boat at this website: http://www.gatorboats.com/

I hope I'm not stepping on UJ or Jim's toes by listing a competitor but the duck hunter looks to be right up your alley. I'm not aware of many people who use a surface drive motor for fishing purposes. Just duck hunting and/or crawfishing. Hope this helps.