Memorial Trip for a Good Guy | SouthernPaddler.com

Memorial Trip for a Good Guy

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Greyloon was a well known and liked fisherman in our area that tragically passed away last year. As usual Ron and I had a ball.

By: Kim Hunter
A few of us met up at the Falls on the Brazos park to remember Greyloon and to celebrate his life on and off the water. I wasn't there the whole time so I missed out on the Friday night festivities (I will let Ron, Darrell and Firefly fill in those details and hopefully there are pics ). Saturday morning I showed up and them plus Texas Zeke were there. While waiting for the family I caught some bait and got my boat ready to launch. The family showed up and Curtis and Andrew wasted no time loading the big canoe up with almost everything but the kitchen sink and got ready to shove off. Myrtie and Drakie walked down to the launch area to send some flowers downstream and shortly after that the boys and I pushed off. They were headed for an overnight campout, I just wanted to do some daytime fishing. The rest of the crew except for Darrell and Hanna went up to Hwy 7 and paddled back down to the Falls. Darrell and I were each succesful in our fishing ventures - he landed a nice stringer of hefty drum and I got a couple of blues and a channel. We dined on fish that night and I hightailed it for the house. Met up with Darrell to pick up the boys at the 413 bridge and help them load the next day.

I am woefully low on pics

Curtis and Andrew (Greyloon's sons) prepare for launch

Picture470-1.jpg

Myrtie (Greyloon's widow) and Drakie preparing to lauch flowers with Firefly providing support

Picture472-1.jpg

The boys looking good paddling downstream

Picture474-2.jpg

Couple of nice blues and a channel I got

Picture475-2.jpg

The boys' triumphant arrival at the 413 bridge

Picture477-2.jpg

Hopefully everyone else will add their own experiences and pics - it was a beautiful weekend.

Kim

By: Me

I had a great time at the Falls. It was really nice to meet you Firefly and as always it was great to camp with Ron. We got all set up and built a nice fire to settle around for a adult beverage.

greyloon003.jpg

greyloon001.jpg

Later in the evening we threw some steaks and potatos on the grill and had a grand night. Strider and Greyloons family arrived pretty early Sat. morning. Strider messed around for awhile and caught bait to accompany Greyloons sons down stream for aways. Greyloons sons went on downstream for the night, but Strider returned in a couple of hours with a nice sstringer of fish.

greyloon041.jpg

While everyone was gone fishing and/or paddling Hannah and I walked down to a little island and fished behind it in the eddy and caught a few nice drum.

greyloon038.jpg

Everyone gathered back up about dark for a fish fry and talking and laughing around the fire again. Like Ron said I did'nt want to load up and go home because we were just relaxing having a good time. I took Hannah's new boat with us but she did'nt paddle as the current was alittle strong for her to feel comfortable, which was fine because I don't want her to get uncomfortable paddling. This was the first time I have taken the converted cargo trailer camping and it worked wonderful.

Here are some random pics Hannah took this weekend. I love the 20x zoom on this camera.

greyloon037.jpg

greyloon034.jpg

One slip and these guys would be in big trouble:

greyloon033.jpg

greyloon028.jpg

greyloon052.jpg

greyloon039.jpg

greyloon025.jpg

greyloon009.jpg

greyloon008.jpg

Little creek just behind our camp

greyloon018.jpg

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
It was a good weekend.
Got to the park about 3 Firefly was already there and Darrel arrived a few minutes later. We talked for a few minutes and decided to paddle upstream for a while,river was up pretty high but I had the itch to try the new boat out, the first couple hundred yards wasnt bad then it started getting swifter,and swifter and did I mention it was swift.It finally got so bad we were sitting in the same spot for several minutes while paddling flat out. Darrel found a seam and got past the shallows Firefly and I had to slide sideways across the river while paddling flat and found a seam
close to the bank,paddled on out into the slower water. After resting for a few minutes we headed back down, (a lot faster than we came up).
Got back to camp had a a few adult beverages and cooked some steaks, a lo of laughing and story telling around the camp fire. Darrel was in his new trailer ,I was in the tepee and Firefly in her camp cot ,was cool and good sleeping.
The next morning Kim Zeke and Hannah arrived . Zeke Firefly and myself went up to the 7 bridge and paddled back down ,the whole way into a headwind,but it was still a nice paddle.That night we had fish courtesy of Kim,and a lot more BS around the campfire.I hated to leave today I had a ball.
Ron

Steve

Darrell, Ron, looks like a good trip. . . Great report. . .

Oh, Darrell, I took one of Hannah's pics and set it as a screen saver to get an even better look at it. . . Hope you don't mind. . . The girl has an eye for a good pic. . . give her lots of encouragement and help her develop it, if she wants to. . . .

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
i swear that was when she had taken the camera to go "messing around". I do like her pics though. That is why I was wondering, i had nothing to do with them.