Making a Flat Stern | SouthernPaddler.com

Making a Flat Stern

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
Well I'm in the middle of another build. I have two questions. First I would like to make flat stern in the back but after I placed it around the center former I can not get the stern straight. I mean one side is lower than the other. I placed another former close to the stern in hopes of a correction but no luck. Is there a trick to getting a flat stern to line up on a normally asymmetrical boat?

The second question is when pulling the bow together one side seems to flare smoother than the other. Again any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Sometimes the sides flare out differently when the bow and stern is attached. Especially on the pirogues .
Did you ran a strip along the top on the outside of each side. That normally equals ( trues ) them out by addling support to them. Different boards will bend differently till they have something to hold ( help shape ) them.

If that corrects the problem then attach the ribs before you try to move it or the boat might buckle in the middle when moved.

As far as the stern double check the length of each side piece and the height of them , one might be off a little causing your problem.

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
Thanks guys. As far as the bow problem, I was finally able check it out in some daylight. I found the front was off ever so slightly; one side was racking ahead of the other side. Good thing I only wire tied it together and clamped the formers on. The stern problem may improve with the bow issue resolved. The problem now is I'm going to go for more a marsh style pirogue. I have to change the formers out from 25 degrees to 35. Oh,I forgot to mention this is going be AL sided like Herb Cottle's.

Thanks,
John