Launched my UJ today | SouthernPaddler.com

Launched my UJ today

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I officially launched my "new" boat today. I went to Cane Bayou in Lacombe. My usual haunt.

Lots (LOTS!) of mullet in the bayou, nearly all the way up to the put-in. Not sure if the Bonne Carre Spillway has anything to do with it, but I've never seen mullet in the bayou although I've heard stories of folks catching redfish in the bayou. Crabs too. Saw a handful today, never before.

Here I am just after launching, making it official:

Christening my Uncle John Pirogue with a Turbo Dog. by rlpecotx2, on Flickr

And just to make sure I scare away the undesirables:

Time for a shave and a haircut by rlpecotx2, on Flickr

Deja-vu?

Osprey by rlpecotx2, on Flickr

The few folks I ran into who were fishing weren't having any luck. So I guess it's good that I didn't bring any fishing gear. I'm a "junior" fisherman at best, so one less thing to get flustered over. Maybe next time :lol:

Out on Lake Pontchartrain, the mullet were everywhere. It was fun chasing them around seeing if any would jump in the boat. Saw quite a few gar. One big one rolled under my bow while I was on the bayou and scared the you-know-what out of me. Also saw a couple sheephead in the lake too.

Herding mullet by rlpecotx2, on Flickr
The lake is definitely cloudy compared to what I've seen in the past. Not completely mucked up, but not nearly as clear as I've seen it.

I saw a couple gators paddling back from the lake, but not the 9 footer that a couple folks had seen. Yeah, I'm not complaining.

Aside from a sunburn, it was a pretty good day on the water. Here's a few more pictures. You can see the rest on my Flickr account.

P6250081 by rlpecotx2, on Flickr

P6250077 by rlpecotx2, on Flickr

P6250092 by rlpecotx2, on Flickr

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Russell,
Were those bay mullet or sea mullet that was jumping. Big difference. Looked like you had a very nice day. Next trip take a pole, ya never know when your gonna catch a fish.
Bob

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Wannabe said:
Russell,
Were those bay mullet or sea mullet that was jumping. Big difference. Looked like you had a very nice day. Next trip take a pole, ya never know when your gonna catch a fish.
Bob
Didn't know there was more than one kind of mullet. Guess it makes sense that there is. I have no clue. Only thing I know is the mullet around here aren't considered a delicacy, more like a nuisance.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Jack,
I've never heard of a sea mullet being aroung the La. or Tx. coast. They are plentyful around Fl. and up the east coast. Little finger mullet makes fine redfish and flounder bait.Never heard of anybody that wasn't real hengry eating them. And I'm talking about bay mullet, not sea mullet.
Bob

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Well, now it all makes sense. Reading the Food Value section of this link:
Good overall, but the flesh is very oily, which makes it a poor candidate for some preparation styles, such as frying. Fish taken from freshwater are generally considered poorer table fare than fish from saline waters. Striped mullet are excellent when smoked; their roe is also considered to be very good by some.
You can get fried fish anywhere, I've never known anyone in Louisiana (except Piper) to smoke a fish.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A sea mullet is any in salt water while the fresh water ones are just that , fresh water and not fit for fertilizer as far as I am concerned. Some folks do eat the fresh water ones.
A cold beer and a smoked salt water mullet , some good eating. Heck some folks even fry up the gizzard from them for a meal. YEP... The mullet has a gizzard.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
rpecot said:
I've never known anyone in Louisiana (except Piper) to smoke a fish.
If you wander up to his homeland, you'll see smoked fish for sale at a lot of corner grocery stores and gas stations. A problem with smoked fish is - it often takes a LOT of beer to wash it down. DARN!