Last minute fishing trip - Big Alabama - Krotz Spring, LA | SouthernPaddler.com

Last minute fishing trip - Big Alabama - Krotz Spring, LA

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
Well that was an eventful trip. Nothing much to say about the fishing. I think the local WLF must have restocked it recently given all the inch long catfish I saw along the bank and the 2 or 3 3" long brim and 5 inch long bass I caught. I had a 3 foot alligator chase after my cork and got within a paddle's reach of the pirogue. I hit the surface of the water with the paddle to scare him away and he wasn't budging. So I motored on out of there quickly. Thankfully he stayed in the same spot so he must have just been defending his territory. My Clamshell seat broke at one of the plastic straps. So I eased back and used the cross member in the back to support my back. Well after an hour of that the wood gave out and it broke. So given the lack of fish and the two critical failures I paddled back in and came home. So now I get to repair the pirogue, replace the cross member and figure out another seat system. Even after trimming off an inch from the UJ seat I'm still not comfortable & steady sitting on it in the pirogue. Guess I'll have to go ahead and buy a true kayak seat system and fiberglass some mounting points for the back rest so I can lean back and relax without fear of breaking something. 8)

path.gif

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dang shame about your boat coming to pieces around you there, Crooked Letter. Fortunately, you know the fell that built it, and he'll figure out how to fix it up brown.

I like the breadcrumb trail there. Neat.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Too bad about the equipment failure. Give that UJ seat a few more tries. Mine is about an inch higher than stock and after a couple of trips, stability didn't even enter my mind anymore.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
crkdltr said:
so I can lean back and relax without fear of breaking something. 8)

Here's my redneck seating systems. It lays down good for those lazy slow fishing days. I put it in there because I haven't finished my UJ seats yet but I'll tell you, it's damn comfortable. It has a nice high back for supporting geezers. If I could find one that was a little more conservative on the color scheme I might just mount the thing.

062809_195400.jpg

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
I reckon' once I repair the damage I'll try my UJ seat again. The only time I tried it was shown in that video and I was dead center(if not forward of center) of the pirogue. I'll report back on it once I make repairs and re-deploy.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thank you for posting. Brought back old memories (really old). When I was a kid my PawPaw would drive me over there to some friends of his. They kept a small bateau in Big Alabama and I would use it to fish while he visited. Fished for what ever was biting. Used a homemade bait. It was an in line spinner in front of a "black nat" fly, with a #11 pork ryne cut into and the leg split to make two legs. Pre beetle spin days, but it worked. Caught lots of big goggleye. Probably don't remember the trips when nothing was caught.
Be careful swatting gators. My friend lost the end of an expensive rod. They are fast bitters.

beekeeper