Lake Borumba and Yabba Creek washout | SouthernPaddler.com

Lake Borumba and Yabba Creek washout

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

I just got back from a camping trip to Lake Borumba. a bunch of mates were coming up from Brisbane and the plan was a kayak fishing few days on the lake and Yabba Creek which Borumba flows into. Some useful info here.

http://maps.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&p=168322&fid=8

Some nice piccies here

http://maps.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&p=168322&fid=8

The plan was to all camp in a deer park on the banks of the creek. I went down Wednesday Afternoon and most of the others were to arrive during Friday and Saturday.

The forecast was not good but I have been busting to paddle Yabba creek again and to fish Borumba for years. It is about 2 hours drive from my home and while the day started off fine and clear, Strong Southerly winds (as forecast) arrived mid morning and clouds started building with a very noticeable drop in temp. - not looking good.

By the time I got there, about 1630, light misty rain had started and one of the group I was to meet up with Tom) rolled in about the same time as me. :D he had allready been there a couple of days and had allready set his camper up.

He helped me quickly throw up my little canoeing tent in a likely spot

016.jpg

on the banks of Yabba Creek.

013.jpg

We got a good fire going and sat round it for hours catching up and planning the following days paddle and partaking of some adult beverages. :D - LOTS of them. :D

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Woke up bright and early Thursday morning - well hung over and to heavy overcast skies and drizzle - and bloody cold!.

To put this into some sort of perspective, October here is generally warm and mild to hot - never freaking cold. Our winters are very mild by American standards anyway, and now is definately not winter here. As such, I had minimal warmish clothes and forgot my raincoat.

This guy paid me a visit while I busied my self making a cuppa. An Aussie scrub turkey

025.jpg

Camp raiders extraordinaire but I like them.

Christened my lovely Zip stove on some bacon, steak and eggs and several more coffees and panadene and then off to the dam for a paddle and fish, chasing the elusive saratoga.

http://www.nativefish.asn.au/saratoga.html

and Aussie Bass

Tom peddles a Hobie Mirage Adventure angler and I have to say, I was very impressed with the quality and finish of this boat. I have never taken much notice of them before but the hull is fair and the finish is as good as a good fibreglass kayak. Very impressive craft all round but not suited for skinny backwaters where I like to fish in my opinion.

001.jpg

002.jpg

The wind was funnelling down the lake at about 30 knots in squalls ad we headed up into the mountains to try to find some calm spots out of the wind.

In between the squalls, the wind dropped a lot and it was almost pleasant.

004.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks Baldy,

I wish you were here too mate.

The lake itself is home to a lot of water skiers and bloody jet skis on week-ends, I call them lice, oh yeah, and a lot of the 4 wheel drive crowd. You probably know the type - raised body with a bunch of big spot lights on the roof, loud exhaust etc etc. All they need is a gun rack across the back window. Quiet a few of Bear's mates on Harleys turn up there too. The Mary Valley boasts some of the best windy mountain roads for bikes and those who like to get close to horizontal going round them fast.

nevermind, I was lucky enough to be there mid week and it is much quieter. with just a few fishing boats. :p

As we worked our way up into the mountains, the wind became less of a problem. There is some nice old growth rainforest remnants in places.

003.jpg

Tom working the snags.
006.jpg

and some nice open eucalypt forest where we pulled ashore for a cuppa.

007.jpg

009.jpg

Tom had brought is little Trangia (sp) stove (great stoves BTW) and we had the pot boiling in no time or fuss. In some ways, i think they might be even a little superior to my Zip stove in that they are clean and easy to use and well suited to paddling.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
After our break, we continued on up the lake for about another mile or so but the fish weren't playing and I had started to get very cold and wet so we turned round and worked some lures on the way back in sheltered spots picking up a couple of rat bass along the way. all were released.

011.jpg

012.jpg

and got back to the put in early afternoon for a leasurely and exploratory couple of mile drive back to our camp site.

Yabba Creek winds it way downstream from the lake with lots of little road bridges across it. All of them are suitable for a canoe put in and they all look very fishy to me.

015.jpg

014.jpg

and by the time we got back to camp, the Brisbane crew had started to arrive. :D

023.jpg

and even one from South Africa trying out his mates new Wilderness systems skinny water boat. :shock: in the creek in front of the camp.

021.jpg

These have only just been released here and I think will be a very good skinny water SOT for those so inclined.

I was very cold by now and not feeling well (cold coming on) so had a hot shower and a little lie down for an hour or so. when I got up the weather was even worse so I made apologies all round and opted for discretion and came home to a warm dry bed 8)

Just as well that I did. I am sick as a dog now and would be in no state to drive home. let alone pack up my wet kit for the trip.

For my short time there, I have fallen in even more love with this valley and its creek systems that flow into it. I will definately be going back there in the near future.

Hope you enjoyed my little story guys. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Hurry up and get to feeling better , trips are suppose to make you fell good not to get you sick. :lol:

That lake sure looked like a good spot for some fishing , it is some fishey water. Just remember ... A bad out fishing , beats a good day at work.

Chuck.

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Mr. Mick
Sorry to hear you fell sick on your trip. But it does give you good reason to go back again. The pics and description do make for enjoyable read. Looks like a great place to spend some time. So once again thanks for the memories. Take care and git better.
Joe