Lafitte skiff | SouthernPaddler.com

Lafitte skiff

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Here's one friend Keith and I have been working on longer than we care to admit

july242008004.jpg

It started out as a classic Lafitte skiff design from the late 40's, in sinker cypress (what else?)

july242008005.jpg

They were essentially "one man shrimp boats that could outrun the weather". The guy that wants this wanted a cabin added so he could be comfortable when he spent the night on it.

july242008006.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Seedtick,

That is a beautiful boat. Nice color and finish. Do the windows open for ventilation? Will he have an alcohol stove aboard to heat meals etc?

Is it an optical illusion? The back deck looks like it overhangs empty space, and the real transom is 4' ahead of the end of the deck?

What size engine will he hang out there?

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
thanks,

Yes portholes open, they are real, stainless steel and go for about $600 each. Don't know what his plans are for cooking but i suspect that if he can afford $600 portholes, the meals will likely be catered :) :)

No optical illusion, that's called a fantail. This was originally designed to be a shrimp boat. The fantail overhangs the back transom so you can pay out your shrimp trawl and pull it back in without getting it tangled up in the prop. Also it gives you a working platform above the engine head.

Probably hang a 150 on the back

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Looking at the pictures and dreaming of having one like it one day , where is the wheel house , captains chair , battery storage and a place for him to duck the gas tank or tanks for the motor he is going to install , later on.

Sorry about so many questions but .....................

Chuck.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
It's 8 feet wide and about 23 or so feet long. It wasn't built from a set of plans and we've never actually measured its length. 8 feet wide is max legal highway towing width around here so we knew we had to stop at 8 feet.

It's not quite finished yet. Steering console is going on the back wall of the cabin just to the right of the door. The captain will have a leaning post just in back of the wheel. Gas tanks are under those two long boxes on either side. Batteries,etc. will go under the fantail (back deck) in front of the transom and in back of the gas tanks. There's room there for a Honda generator also.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I figured you guys had put a lot of thought into that boat , it shows it but I had to ask and the answer was what I expected.

I was thinking a seat and not a leaning post but they both do the same job , one is just a lot cleaner and will go better with the overall design then a seat would. :D

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Tick,

I took Miz Bear ta Leland fer fried oysters today. She caint stand 'em fried too long 'er greazy. My niece's boyfriend runs the Ciceros Cafe there. Actually it iz at Stoneville, the guviment speriment station. There wuz this ole time sign on the wall "All gamblers and fancy women must register with the Captain before departure." Mississippi River Steamboat Assoc.

Good idea ta keep track of 'em both. :wink: A sign like that would look mitey good on that fine boat.....'er on that stump puller with the fire engine on top. :mrgreen:

regards 'n congratulations on anuther fine boat
bearridge

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege. Unknown

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
It's the same one. We've got lots of pictures. If you don't mind let me show you a few of the build process over the next few days. Anyone not interested, please ignore.........

The build was interesting because this boat was strictly by hand and by eye. No written plans, just a couple of benchmarks that were in the builder's head.

It started with the bowstem, a 6 X 6 timber that was shaped with a hatchet and a saw

bowstem.jpg

The bowstem was then attached to the keel and two 3/4" X 3/4" strips were put in place, secured to the ground and bent to the shape of the chine. The profile where the bottom ribs will attach to the side ribs.

keel.jpg

Two more strips defined the shear line or the shape of the boat at the top of the side ribs. Note that these are also secured to the ground and that the bowstem is secured to the rafters of the shop. With these four strips in place, the shape of the boat was defined and ribs were added to match the shape.

1.jpg

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
With the ribs in, the boat is starting to take shape but it's still not very rigid. The next steps begin to stiffen it up a bit

Firstly we sistered the ribs at the keel

sisterribs.jpg

then we added the side deck beams

sidedeckbeams.jpg

the front deck beams

3.jpg

then the back deck beams

aftdeckbeams.jpg

each time you add something to the structure, you have to be sure that you're not changing the original shape of the boat

by hand and by eye............