Kayak Funk | SouthernPaddler.com

Kayak Funk

Johnny Swank

Mar 6, 2006
www.sourcetosea.net
When you're sealed up for in a kayak for several days on end, bad things are going to happen. The cockpit of the 'yak becomes a chemistry lab from hell.

The combined fermentative effects of sandals, feet, mud, water, heat, sweat, and god-only-knows what else is enough to knock you down. All those individual smells combine into a sort of toxic cocktail suitable for neither man nor beast.

Sometimes I just cringe when I'm about to pop the sprayskirt off. Knowing the noxious gasses about to be released is enough to give anyone pause.

More ramblings like this are on my blog http://sourcetosea.net/Blog/Wanderings.html

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Johnny Swank said:
When you're sealed up for in a kayak for several days on end, bad things are going to happen. The cockpit of the 'yak becomes a chemistry lab from hell.

Put a sprig of mint in the cockpit with you or if you are paddling in Florida drop in some orange blossoms.
How about one of those air fresheners they hang from the rear view mirror in trucks, you know the pine scented ones that look like a little cardboard, evergreen, tree.

If you can't find either of the above items then just use a clothes pin on your nose. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Personally I do not use the cockpit cover unless it is raining, I like the fresh air in the cockpit with me.

Chuckles..............

Johnny Swank

Mar 6, 2006
www.sourcetosea.net
I prefer not using a skirt myself for the most part. Damn nice when its cold though.

Next boat is probably going to be an decked canoe something like a Kruegger Sea Wind so that I can pop a skirt on it i want, but leave it off most of the time.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Too bloody hot here for a spray skirt all year. Cockpit gets like a sauna.

The only time I use one is in the seriously rough stuff, and I'm not getting into that much nowadays.

In heavy rain, (not that we have been getting much of that in recent times) I carry a hand pump and just empty the cockpit when I need to.

Johnny, Matt is working on a boat based on the Sea Wind at the moment.
He calls it Zephyrus, I call it a thing of beauty and soon as he is finished, will be starting on one.

Johnny Swank

Mar 6, 2006
www.sourcetosea.net
I'd love to see that boat once its done. I've only seen one up close for about 5 minutes, but would love to get my hands on one for a paddle. I buy into Kruggers ideas about a single blade, rudder, etc for seriously long paddling.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Johnny,

I can introduce you to some paddlers of Kruger craft. Charlie paddled one beside me in Canada last fall, probably hte 5th-6th trip he has. Others here have them too. Fastest hull out there that will carry camp gear. I may know where you could buy one.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Johnny, I too, am learning to love the single blade. :D My kayaks - all of them, are getting seriously neglected lately.

The Krugers are not a cheap boat, by any standard and to import one out here makes the whole idea rediculous.

We have some hard core, open water paddlers here and the Sea Wind would fit their needs beautifully IMHO. I am certain the Zephyrus will turn some heads and have some blokes re-considering how they do things.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Kayak Jack said:
I pity you poor commoners. When I pass gas, it smells like roses and permeates the entire outdoors. THAT is the fresh country air you have so enjoyed.

And delaminates any epoxy/plywood joint within 50 meters. :oops: