Iroquois in Arkansas | SouthernPaddler.com

Iroquois in Arkansas

JT

Dec 21, 2007
Denton, TX
Needless to say, the beauty of the trip can never be captured through a lens (at least not by this shutterbug)...

Anyway, couple of weeks ago, I found myself and my canoe on the Buffalo River. Unfortunately, I only got one day on that river--next time I'll plan a little better, and spend some quality time...

We put in on a gravelly beach under the hwy 14 bridge access.

IMG_3072Small.jpg

IMG_3094Small.jpg

I put a hook in the water and caught this little guy (the fish, not the kid!) on my first cast.
IMG_3074Small.jpg

Didn't get another bite the rest of the day...

Stopped for lunch and a swim.
IMG_3078Small.jpg

Saw a river otter up close, probably less than ten feet, but of course the camera was in the watertight hatch.

Enjoyed the scenery and river...
IMG_3096Small.jpg

IMG_3091Small.jpg

Got so tired, this little gal had to haul us in...
IMG_3098Small.jpg

Used an outfitter to shuttle us back to the car. Which one of these is outta place?
IMG_3104Small.jpg

(Got lots of compliments on the boat during the trip--needless to say they don't see all the mistakes i can see...
--my wife even overheard a guy say it was the prettiest thing he'd ever seen--then his wife slugged him in the arm :lol: )

Another couple of days were spent on the White River-- a completely different beast (until they join up, of course). That one was maybe not the best for a novice in a flat-bottomed boat. The dam was running 8 generators and the river was moving along. Water was high enough so that rapids weren't a problem, but I never felt fully in control with the scenery zipping by--and didn't take the camera out at all.

Did catch our limit of rainbows one day (but that was with a guide in a boat with motor).

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Jeremy,

Nice report 'n good pichurs. Looks like Highway 14 ta Buffalo Point? Please tell the High Sheriff there aint no rapids on that stretch. I paddled my two gals frum Maumee North ta Buffalo Point one summer day. IIRC, that stretch took 5-6 hours. We didnt stop too often.

If yer crew likes Buffalo Point 'n the showers, ya kin set up camp there, git the shuttle folks (I like Wild Bill) ta come pick ya up at the parkin' lot 'n take ya ta Maumee North. Then ya paddle down ta Buffalo Point, spend the nite 'n the next day shove off whenever ya like, jest have the shuttle folks pick ya up at Rush. That way ya got eazy two day paddles frum one campin' spot.

How crowded wuz Buffalo Point?

regards
bearridge

ps Tell me bout the White River. Where did ya put in? The Paddlin' Geezer Canoe Clud wuz lookin' at Buffalo Point ta the other side of the White River, but the word I got wuz that if all 8 generators wuz rollin', some of the geezers would likely drown....'n very few 'er none would be likely ta make it cross the river there.

Esplanade (v.), to attempt an explanation while drunk.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JT...

For some reason the folks around here are always the ones with the odd looking canoe or boat , I have no idea why. :roll:

My guess is that's why folks always have to come over to look and touch them. :lol:

By the way .... that's a neat trolling motor you have off the bow for the canoe , I trust you stopped and got her a Big Mac or some treat on the way home.

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day JT,

Great report and piccies mate. Thank you!

Looks like a lovely river to paddle.

Isn't it strange how, in this day and age of mass consumerism, people still are drawn to our wood boats. Will happily walk past the very best of the big name, big dollar jobs and just stare and touch lovingly, our little wooden creations? 8)

JT

Dec 21, 2007
Denton, TX
Bear,
We did the 14 bridge to Rush, taking our time. Saw some other boats at times, toward the end we spread out some and didn't see anyone for about an hour before take out (spent about 6 hours on the trip--about an 8 mile float).

I'd like to do the next stretch to Buffalo City, with some overnight camping. Might do that with some buddies, though, my kids are still a bit young to rough it too much.

We were camped (RV with my in-laws) on the banks of the White River at Cotter. Floated ("flew") down from there a couple of times at 8 generators to Buffalo City (about 15 miles)--took about 2 1/2 hours. White River has much more traffic (especially motorized jon boats) and development (wouldn't mind being the proud owner of some of those 4000 sq ft "cabins").

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Somethin' jest dont make no sense. The ole hands who paddled the Buffalo River fer 30 years tole us that crossin' the White River over ta Buffalo City, when 8 generators wuz rollin', aint much different frum the bad part of the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon which they paddled in rafts a few times. They tole me not ta let the Paddlin' Geezers try it less we knew fer sho only one 'er two generators wuz rollin'.

I hear the Buffalo Point ta Buffalo City iz the most remote stretch on the Buffalo River. It woulda been our "plan B" back in 2005 when we run the Upper Buffalo. I hope ta see it someday. If ya'll git up a trip, give a holler, some of the folks on here mite like ta join up. The Arkansaw Canoe Club forum haz a few trip reports on that stretch. Worth readin' if ya aim ta give it a try.

regards
bearridge

ps The Buffalo River haz guviment campgrounds all up 'n down it, til ya git ta Buffalo Point. Frum there on down ta Buffalo City on the other side of the White River iz wilderness....no guviment campgrounds, roads, etc.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. Steven Wright