interior tie-on loops | SouthernPaddler.com

interior tie-on loops

leeh

Jul 24, 2009
Anybody got any ideas how to attach some loops or eyes inside a big plywood canoe/kayak for the purpose of tieing in netting, cargo, etc? Without punching a rivet through the hull, I mean.

I'm toying with the idea of taking some webbing and looping it through some small pieces of ply, like 1X2 or something, and gluing the ply to the inside of the hull. I guess the ply would have to be 2X thick in the area that gets glued in order to offset the webbing. Is there a kind of webbing that would epoxy straight to the hull? I'm presuming nylon wouldn't take the glue.

Hoping somebody has figured out an easy and elegant way to do this. :?:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I started with a long slat, 1" X 3/4" and cut off triangles (zig zag 45 degree lines down the side of the slat). Smoothed them up, drilled a hole in the center and glued them to the canoe bottom. I run tie down ropes through them.

I like your idea of a plywood square, raised up a bit to allow a line or strap to pass underneath (that's my understanding of what I think you said). I'd have, say, a 4" square with 1" squares (2 deep) glued on the corners. That would allow you to run a line either fore and aft or athwart ships. I'd probably have a 1/2" hole in the center of the 4" square just for ventilation in case water is trapped under there, just general policy.

Where you glue them down, scuff up the original epoxy so the new stuff has something to grip.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Why wouldn't nylon take the epoxy?

(not arguing, just curious)

I would think that typical nylon strap would epoxy to the hull just fine... does something go wrong?

George