In what language was the Declaration of Independence first announced? | SouthernPaddler.com

In what language was the Declaration of Independence first announced?

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
The Second Continental Congress signed an official declaration renouncing British rule on Thursday, July 4, 1776, in Philadelphia. At the time, the city of Brotherly Love had at least six major newspapers. Yet only one — “Heinrich Miller’s Pennsylvanischer Staatsbote” (Heinrich Miller’s Pennsylvania State-Courier) — published on Fridays. Miller had just enough time to publish a short note at the bottom of the first column on the second page. His two sentences were the first report of the existence of the Declaration of Independence.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My German ancestors came over in the late 1800s, and settled in a gaggle of houses they nicknamed “Snickerville”. My great granddad helped cut the road out of the woods. During WWII, l walked along with my dad on his trapline around Dobie Lake, a half mile SE’ly of Snickerville.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
My pappy came to America circa 1900. He was a tail gunner on a beer truck during prohibition.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Not the Declaration of Independence, but the Preamble of our Constitution:

We the People of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.