How to Strip Build | SouthernPaddler.com

How to Strip Build

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Thanks Beekeeper. That guy is a very talented woodworker and his "how to" is a good quick summary. I poked around and looked at some of his other projects and they are all impressive.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
That guy does a nice job , there is just a couple things I disagree with him on ,cove and bead isnt worth the trouble in my opinion, and putting 2 layers of 3 ounce glass on the bottom is heavier than a single layer of 6 ounce on the bottom and 3 ounce on the side is where you are going to smash into rocks,he weakened his boat for just a few ounces.
Ron

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
tx river rat said:
That guy does a nice job , there is just a couple things I disagree with him on ,cove and bead isnt worth the trouble in my opinion, and putting 2 layers of 3 ounce glass on the bottom is heavier than a single layer of 6 ounce on the bottom and 3 ounce on the side is where you are going to smash into rocks,he weakened his boat for just a few ounces.
Ron
Ron,
If you are going to build a canoe or kayak with (rounded) bottoms, Bead and Cove or the best and easiest ways to go.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Swampwood this isn't the first time but I don't agree with you. As far as I am concerned it is a waste of time and most of the builder I know feel the same way
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack are you familiar with the builders here in Texas or just being a hotshot.
I will answer your question
One you know is darrel , gave his bits away after thirty minutes he builds a tough good looking boat
Gerald , an accomplished builder of 50 plus years He has built more boats than anyone I know and they are a tough pretty build. He even races them in the Colo 100 and other races.
Glen is into canoes and has built the prettiest strip canoe I have ever seen.
I can add myself to that list with over twenty boats built and used hard
By the way Jack how many boats have you built?
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
That was a good question ,It made me start thinking about the builders that I have meet face to face and seen there boats first hand,Out of the 25 or so I can remember I dont know a single one that uses the bead and cove, maybe it is a local thing. They all use a block plane and sander to fit the strips.
Both methods will work ,one just a lot easier, just as good looking ,and both are plenty strong with the glass on both sides.
Ron

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
tx river rat said:
Swampwood this isn't the first time but I don't agree with you. As far as I am concerned it is a waste of time and most of the builder I know feel the same way
Ron
Ron,
You missed the point. I said round. That does not include boats with flat curvatures, like plank building. Then I too would not bead & Cove.
I would say it all depends on the "looks the builder" is going for.

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
I have a cove and bead router bit..Good for something like this...
Contour_Gauge.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
He does a good job of explaining his way of building a strip canoe but like all things in life there are other ways to accomplish the same thing. Variety and choices are the spices of life to make it more interesting or as I like to say , Not everyone drives a Ford.
( Nothing against anyone who does drive a Ford , that's there choice )